The VG Resource

Full Version: Transformed Genesis backgrounds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was ripping some Genesis sprites from a boss stage in Puggsy yesterday, using the usual screenshot/AnimGet technique. When I got up to ripping the background, I realised that most of it is constantly transformed, that is, kind of "skewered". There's no point during the fight (or the game at all) when the images making up the background are in their usual, untransformed state.

If you're not sure what I mean, check out the water (in front and behind the boat) in the first boss here:

That's what I'm trying to rip. I'm assuming that I can only do this using a tool that rips directly from the ROM, but I'm not sure which should be used. Anybody have any suggestions?
I'm not really a ripper, but I think you use the memory viewer for that type of thing...?
I think Tile Molester might be able to do that.

Does your emulator support turning layers on and off? If you can do that, see if you can capture the background on an un-altered frame, if possible.
I've tried to find an un-altered frame, but unfortunately I can't find any. I'm pretty sure they're always transformed in one way or another.

I've tried ripping it from a savestate using GSavestate, but it's giving the images in bits, and in a really unorganised manner, so I can't know which bits go together. I'll give Tile Molester a go, and maybe hunt around for some other tile rippers.
You can edit the background tiles in a savestate with Tile Molester, not delete them, but solidfy them into a single color. If the effects work the way I think, the tiles being a single block of 1 color should basically make the effect not noticeable.

EDIT: Just tried with the Parrot, you need to do a case by case study of the backgrounds. While you can solidy the backgrounds, you need to delete some of the tiles otherwise it's obscures stuff.