The VG Resource

Full Version: Can we make games with 3DS MAX?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was just wondering if it's posssible to make games with 3DS MAX? If so, can anyone tell me how its done (tell me if it uses scripting or any other method)?
I'm not sure, but as far as I know 3DS MAX is just a modelling program. If you can make games in it, they'll probably be pretty low quality, to make a proper game you'll probably need to code it in something like C++ and just import your models.

This is from someone who knows nothing about modelling, let alone 3DS MAX. So don't take my word for it.
I appreciate you trying to help!

So... Can anyone answer this question?
No, 3DS Max is like Photoshop but for 3D. To code a game you'll need a game making program, or learn to code C++, Java, or some other language for game making.
So if I know C++. Can I use 3D max?
No, 3DS MAX will only produce the models for you, you can't code with it. The actual programming requires a code editor and a compiler. Look up C++ tutorials online to figure all of it out.

However, C++ may not be the best place to start. While it's the most flexible language, that also makes it the most difficult to learn and use. Java or Python might be a better choice. Personally I'm doing some Flash programming before I start with C++.
Of course, if you're prepared to dive straight into the deep end then that's all right too.
Game Engines I know of are:

Blender which is free and mainly for modeling.

Unity 3D which is free Unless you want to get the full version for $1,500.00.

Unreal Development Kit (UDK), which I haven't checked if it's free or not.

DX Studio which is currently free.

Game Maker which I think you need to pay $39.99 to use the 3D functions, but it's not the best for 3D games.
Thanks for the info! I think I'm ready for C++. I'll go with UDK. Oh, it's free.
For UDK you'll need a very decent computer. I cant run it that well.
(04-30-2012, 12:56 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the info! I think I'm ready for C++. I'll go with UDK. Oh, it's free.
Hey, TGE! Haven't seen you in a while! What are your computer's specifications? Mine is Intel i5 pc.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...ct=3717446 Tongue
(04-30-2012, 02:33 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, TGE! Haven't seen you in a while! What are your computer's specifications? Mine is Intel i5 pc.
(04-30-2012, 12:56 AM)BlueBlur97 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the info! I think I'm ready for C++. I'll go with UDK. Oh, it's free.

Are you a programmer? If you're not this is NOT the language to learn first. Really. You should learn an easier language like Java, there are still plenty of game libraries written in Java without the complication of C++

You should spend a while familiarising yourself with java and your chosen IDE (I use netbeans) then you should have a look at some game libraries like libgdx (open source, cross platform game engine) or the lightweight Java Game Library (lwjgl, which is the same as libgdx and was also the library Notch used to make minecraft)
Thanks for the advice, Raz. I think I should go with Java first. Can you give me a link to the site and to some tutorials please?
Thank you guys! I really appreciate your help! :p

Any mods viewing this can lock it.
Pages: 1 2