The VG Resource

Full Version: so I'm trying to keep my creative juices flowing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: ImStillTrying.png]

and while I pretty much like how I've got the girl looking, I'm pretty iffy on everything else here.

Basically this entire thing came from me deciding that I want to make a game with corgis in it and stuff. There's obviously weird things happening across the board, but I can't seem to exactly pinpoint what needs to be fixed and what I should do to fix them.

So pretty much for readability reasons, we'll assume I'll actually buckle down and write a code and make this into a game or something, but as of right now I'm backlogged on about five or six other games I also really really want to make and I know I've made literally no progress on any of them.

But yeah, wishful thinking. Anyway:

First two sprites are the main character, Nate. The ring in the second sprite serves a functional purpose for the game as a grip point for her corgis to latch onto, for physics reasons.

Third and fourth sprites are Thor, the cardigan corgi and main dog of the game. He insists on wearing a viking hat (and I'm trying to figure out how to fix the horns on the hat).

Fifth sprite is Nate again in the opening scene of whatever the hell I'm doing. Essentially, I want the game to begin at the literal crack of dawn, hence the nightgown.

Sixth sprite is the main tool in Nate's arsenal: a grapple claw. Pretty much, it allows her to have crazy Batman-like mobility, and this alongside the corgi army would help solve puzzles and stuff.

Seventh and eighth sprites are some Thor recolors meant to represent the other corgis of the game. Not sure how I'm going to go about making each corgi unique from Thor (since dogs tend to look kind of similar :F).

Ninth sprite is Jeremy, Nate's brother, and one of the reasons for why this game is happening. Tenth sprite is a mad scientist who stole Jeremy's brilliant idea for "turning organic matter into pure energy" and is using it as a weapon. And for some reason he decided to use his hatred of dogs as an excuse to use them as the weapon's main ammo source.

A lot of this stuff is extremely rough, and I'm sure I made multitudes of mistakes in terms of defining a lightsource, anatomy, etc.

also I'm torn with the solid black I'm using with the sprites. I kind of like how it gives a nice contrast from all the other mostly-bright colors (and I like how it looks on Nate, especially), but I know how this is a big no-no for spriting.

So... help a guy out?
The contrast for the skin is pretty high!
Maybe you could try using a very dark blueish gray instead of pure black? Or at least see how it looks. :>
tone down on the selout, it makes things very ugly

avoid any pixel placement that results in a single pixel inside a cluster of one color, it is distracting and unnecessary.