The VG Resource

Full Version: Ailit's Metroid sprite project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Comments and critics.
[Image: Ga37V.gif][Image: CmRnY.gif]
Ailit, image attachments aren't allowed in tSR. please upload them in a hosting site such as http://www.imgur.com .
(04-12-2012, 06:30 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]Ailit, image attachments aren't allowed in tSR. please upload them in a hosting site such as http://www.imgur.com .

Out of curiosity why aren't image attachments allowed on a site whose sole purpose is sprites?
Because with attachments you have to download them, and it's incredibly annoying and usually not worth it. It's not difficult to host images on a hosting site like tinypic or imgur, anyway, so yeah.
(04-12-2012, 07:24 PM)Speed-X Wrote: [ -> ]Because with attachments you have to download them, and it's incredibly annoying and usually not worth it. It's not difficult to host images on a hosting site like tinypic or imgur, anyway, so yeah.
Wait, what you are saying is you had to download them to view them?
I could see them just fine as animations in the attachment box.

regardless is there going to be any posts about the actual sprite?
Actually, I could see them. I dunno, maybe Gors' browser didn't load them so he thought it was an attachment?
Anyways, what he's referring to is by using the "add an attachment to post" option when you edit a post.

Yes, you have a point. Okay then: the animation itself looks very fluent; it's fantastic. However, you've really used quite a bit of pillow shading, mainly on the armor itself.
Also, you have 32 colors for that one basic animation; you honestly could go with reducing them to at least 16 or 15. I would also suggest using a bit of hue-shifting for the yellow-orange part of her armor, as for just decreasing the brightness tends to look bland and, a lot of the time, ineffective.

Edit: @Gors' below post: what I meant was was that I could actually see them as if they were originally uploaded with an image uploader, not the attachment uploader. ^^;
I also could see it ok, but leaving it there would open a precedent for others to abuse the attachment system, and we don't want this to happen.
there are some elements clashing with what i asume was an attempt to make a smooth, natural run cycle for samus. mainly, the "stomping" it has right now due to the way the frames were drawn(at some points, it seems the differences between each frame arent as een as they should be), and how the cannon doesnt render as smooth as the rest of the bodyparts(at 1x its quite noticeable how it jumps into all sorts of wild positions, specially when facing left.)

i believe you were actually following the actual color scheme used in the snes game, but it would certainly benefit from some optimizations both in the size of the color palete and as a user mentioned before. there is no reason a sprite of this size should sprot a 32+ color palette, nor why it shouldn't make a proper use of contrast and hue shifting to increase its readbility.
(04-12-2012, 08:37 PM)Speed-X Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, I could see them. I dunno, maybe Gors' browser didn't load them so he thought it was an attachment?
Anyways, what he's referring to is by using the "add an attachment to post" option when you edit a post.

Yes, you have a point. Okay then: the animation itself looks very fluent; it's fantastic. However, you've really used quite a bit of pillow shading, mainly on the armor itself.
Also, you have 32 colors for that one basic animation; you honestly could go with reducing them to at least 16 or 15. I would also suggest using a bit of hue-shifting for the yellow-orange part of her armor, as for just decreasing the brightness tends to look bland and, a lot of the time, ineffective.

Edit: @Gors' below post: what I meant was was that I could actually see them as if they were originally uploaded with an image uploader, not the attachment uploader. ^^;
I noticed that too, but I just don't have the experience to do this right now Sad
This is my first ever attempt at a running cycle, I got almost no prior experience with sprites or anything. What I'm trying to say is, I don't really know how I'm going to do any of that.. but I'll try. Could you provide some examples Smile
(04-12-2012, 10:22 PM)Meta Wrote: [ -> ]there are some elements clashing with what i asume was an attempt to make a smooth, natural run cycle for samus. mainly, the "stomping" it has right now due to the way the frames were drawn(at some points, it seems the differences between each frame arent as een as they should be), and how the cannon doesnt render as smooth as the rest of the bodyparts(at 1x its quite noticeable how it jumps into all sorts of wild positions, specially when facing left.)

i believe you were actually following the actual color scheme used in the snes game, but it would certainly benefit from some optimizations both in the size of the color palete and as a user mentioned before. there is no reason a sprite of this size should sprot a 32+ color palette, nor why it shouldn't make a proper use of contrast and hue shifting to increase its readbility.
I was trying to follow SuperMetroid as much as possible without being a sprite recolor Tongue It was meant to be totally from scratch, original but have the spirit of a SuperMetroid sprite. I notice the erratic movement, I'll work on that. Again.. guys I am not as good as you all think, I am not even sure what contrast or hue shifting is.

Sorry for the noobness. I was recommended to come here from a guy on deviant art, since you guys are telling me to do things I don't know how to do, I am sure I made the right choice Smile That means more learning on my part which I now realize I am in serious need of. I'll try to make the animation be smother and take away that stomp
Alrighty then, that sounds fine by me. I would be able to provide you with examples when i get back home, but for now, you should really check out the Spriting Dictionary thread in this subforum. :>
Ok so I've been messing around with hue shifting and I've cut down the colors I use to almost half Embarassed.. and it looks way better!

Here I tried this technique on my front pose sprites

The numbers above their heads are the number of colors used for each sprite.
[Image: DHEDT.png]
here it is bigger, so you can see the different colors better and how they mix
[Image: TSFm6.png]

Can't believe I used that many colors..Embarassed

I'll start working on this for all my sprites. Thanks a bunch guys, and I'm still waiting on those tutorials Speed!
Loving your sprites Big Grin
I apologize for not being able to provide anything. See, there was a big storm over the weekend, thus the antennae thing that connects us to the network snapped off (dangling by its cord), then rain got in it and fried that damn thing. I expect the repairman to be here this afternoon to replace it. So yeah, I've been typing from my phone.

Anyway...personally i prefer the one on the very right. Also, what exactly did you need me to explain? :>
(04-17-2012, 10:12 AM)Speed-X Wrote: [ -> ]I apologize for not being able to provide anything. See, there was a big storm over the weekend, thus the antennae thing that connects us to the network snapped off (dangling by its cord), then rain got in it and fried that damn thing. I expect the repairman to be here this afternoon to replace it. So yeah, I've been typing from my phone.

Anyway...personally i prefer the one on the very right. Also, what exactly did you need me to explain? :>

Oh that sucks man, sorry to hear that. No need to worry about examples and whatnot, I have pretty much already figured it out all by myself Cool

from left to right (in case you didn't know)
Samus from Metroid Zero Mission
Samus from Super Metroid
my custom Samus
and my custom Samus with hue shifting and a way smaller color pallet.

I noticed something, with some contrast I can drop another color..
[edit]
if I drop another color it just looks shitty.
color optimization isnt just about shooting down colors, but rather about being able to recycle them.
[Image: LHTNg.png]
also, the way the cannon was drawn mad eit look as if it was simply pasted over the image. i fixed that by replacing a few colors in some pixels.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6