The VG Resource

Full Version: Model Quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are people's thoughts on the model quality we experience through popular modding and modelling communities? Is it up to scratch with your standards? And if not, is the source of this problem due to the availability of modelling resources?

I, for one, am annoyed to see models of lesser quality to my own published and praised. Understandably, this is a selfish attitude to have towards free content. And I would have probably been satisfied with the quality of that same content 4 or so years ago. I suppose my attitude has formed from my need for perfection. This attitude does make my efforts seem overbearing at times...

I've noticed a gradual increase of people relying on The Models Resource for their models. This is one reason why I have become more active these past years. The other reason why is so that I could gradually become more accustomed to other people's work and feel less need to correct it.

I think people should really try their best to fix problems with a model before uploading it.
I think that they should test it on at least one other modelling program, make notes, search online for solutions, and experiment on the model in general. If no particular solutions can be found, I think that they should include a 'readme' within the archive stating the problem/s with the model and potential fixes.

Most importantly, I think that they should not rush the development of a model. A model is a very complex medium of art, with several aspects that need to be considered. I think that people should always evaluate each of these aspects to ensure that they all work to a level of satisfaction. Then that model should be worth sharing to the public, in my opinion.

I would (and have) even gone so far as to make the preview and thumbnail images look perfect. I use an orthographic, top-to-left corner-viewed, cinema sized, cropped render of the model with average global lighting, no exposure control, and filter maps to the power of one. In my opinion, there shouldn't be any part of the model that can be scrutinized from the preview or thumbnail images.

So anyway, those are my thoughts. It's good to get them out of my head for once. Shy
I totally agree. Though if someone does post a model that isn't very good, then that's why we're here to help them improve it and they could become a pro someday. Smile
I think so too. I'm sure that everyone, just like me, will learn at their own pace. I suppose I just have to get used to watching that pace patiently and helping only where I'm wanted. Smile