The VG Resource

Full Version: Mortimers Amateur Spriting Attempt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I've only ever done some very rough sprites for the likes of an RPG, so needless to say advice would be appreciated.

In an idea for a crossover tactical RPG I've been tinkering at editing some current sprites, this one was originally ripped by Lemon from Pokemon Ranger and was an edited attempt to recreate Street Fighters Ryu in this sprite form.

[Image: miniryu.png]
Try making the end of the bandana wave in the wind, a well as trying to make it red like in Street Fighter, other than that i can't think of anything wrong with it.
[Image: ryu2.png]

Hows that? I also seem to get odd white flecks here and there upon saving my png.
The odd white flecks seem to me like you've got pixels with very low alpha values on them, and you're saving with transparency disabled.
That's better. You planning on making any other street fighter characters in that way? I'd love to see what you could do trying to make a Chun Li and Blanka in that form.
it would be a good idea to actually post the originals prite from where you are editing this from, so we can actually guide you towards making the sprites resemble the style
(02-27-2012, 03:19 PM)JoeButler Wrote: [ -> ]That's better. You planning on making any other street fighter characters in that way? I'd love to see what you could do trying to make a Chun Li and Blanka in that form.

Well maybe, I'm not entirely happy with the scale, don't feel like I can make 'smaller characters' than Ryu in this style ... so I may look for a different base sprite or maybe try and create a larger version myself.

(02-27-2012, 10:07 PM)Meta Wrote: [ -> ]it would be a good idea to actually post the originals prite from where you are editing this from, so we can actually guide you towards making the sprites resemble the style

Well, the two sprites I worked off of where these.
[Image: coresprites.png]

(just quickly cut and pasted them together from their main sheets).

I tried to put Ryu into more of a fighting stance, but my attempts at deviating from the base I worked off of seems to have gone abit messy.

[Image: ryu3.jpg]
The pose isn't that bad, but you shouldn't make sprites in the .jpg format, .png or .gif are what you should save sprites in. Try remaking this in .png/ .gif and we will be able to give you better advice.
I have no idea why I did that.

[Image: ryu3-1.png]
Well I wanted to experiment with making a slightly larger template for characters ... though it looks quite peculiar to me, I suppose part of that is the "legoman" parts that so far give me a naked beergutted quadriplegic.

[Image: parts.png]
The arms are far too short, and the far arm is too far out from his body to look natural.
The head is running at an angle

the ear and body are running straight horizontal. They gotta match up.
(03-04-2012, 07:41 AM)Hoeloe Wrote: [ -> ]The arms are far too short, and the far arm is too far out from his body to look natural.

The arms are supposed to be 'join points' but that wasn't very apparent, tried to curve the far shoulder abit closer in.

(03-04-2012, 03:05 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]The head is running at an angle

the ear and body are running straight horizontal. They gotta match up.

Couldn't figure how to do the ear, but tried altering the angle of the body somewhat.

Added in 'green' join points where different parts are supposed to meet.

Also changed shape of the head, shortened the torso, lowered the eyes.

[Image: parts2.png]
Anyway to take a zoomed in shot of my work for better pixel placement? I normally work in x400 zoom but it saves the image at its 100% size.

Now I look at it here I think I need to lower the pecs and bellybutton on the torso.
Ugh ... arms and legs are the bane of me, any help?

[Image: parts3.png]
Pages: 1 2