The VG Resource

Full Version: TFR C+C please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: 2csbadh.png]
I'm working on a new ref/possible fighter for the Fighter's resource, and it is my first attempt at anything human as well, this is not the finalized body, I just would like to know if the anatomy is right, and what I can do to improve the head.
Also my responses might be slow as I am busy around this time of year, but I have boticed that I have a lot of time on weekends still.
It needs some cleaning up. There's alot of unneeded pixels in the outline, which makes it look rather jagged and clumpy. In all honesty, I prefer the anthropomorphic lightbulb.

Also, is that a hat or hair?
Also, I need to make a thread sooner or later I the case more want to do their own sprites fOr tSRFUnsureDtW
Yes, the outline is not a permanent shape, I just drew it to get an idea of where the limbs should go. That is my attempt at a purple elvis-like hairdo, how might I concey that whthout deviating from the style (Vipershark, Gillian, and Sol all have pretty much one-shade hair with a single shadow color)? Also I like my lightbulb better as an idea, but I would like to challange myself with something different, and more versatile (for combat moves).
[Image: 1t5u92.png]
Okay, I went for a pirate-like outfit, and smoothed out the lines a little, still nothing on the hair...
go ahead and try to draw that character's skeleton. even if its a simple stickman over it.

you'll realize soon or later that it simply makes no sense.
[Image: 2yzj6u8.png]
Is this a little better? I wasn't sure about the arms, I left them open-ended. Also am going to completely redo the hair.
in all honestly is that a normal human figure to you? with the disembodied neck, lack of shoulders and flat skull?
[Image: TvEJE.png]

the human body builds upon a skeleton that grants it a rigid shape, with joints to conect each section of your body.

I strongly suggest you to google some basic anatomy tutorials and practice them before going any futher.
[Image: 2urntkn.png]
Is the one furthest right better? I tried for a more triangular body and a neck, also, it's a rough sketch.
Making the body triangular isn't how you should be going about it.
It's about following the anatomy.
Notice that Metaru's much more closely resembles an actual human body shape.

You might be making this in a cartoony style, but you still need to have correct human anatomy and proportions.
(02-20-2012, 10:42 PM)Meta Wrote: [ -> ]I strongly suggest you to google some basic anatomy tutorials and practice them before going any futher.

you are not going to be able to draw proper human figures until you actually grasp some of the basic concepts behind the proportions and the shapes of human body. cartoon or not.
[Image: 140f42r.png]
Im not focusing on shape at this point, I just want the proportions to be correct, and I think I have them right this time, legs 1/2 total height, neck, basic body shape, and head size right (The head will probably wind up the same as before to stay in the gors style), this was my ref picture

[Image: 14t28uh.jpg]
(02-21-2012, 10:20 PM)Sir Zadaben Wrote: [ -> ]Im not focusing on shape at this point

You really should be. You can draw pretty much anything and have the proportions be correct, but if you don't pay attention to shape then it's not going to look right.

You're also not really studying the anatomy. Just having a picture there doesn't really count. Look at the structure of the body. In your anatomy reference, is his arm a solid cylinder? No? No. It's composed of two pieces with a hinge joint in between them. The same is true of the legs. You need to take things like this into account when drawing your sprite. Block out each part of the arm and leg separately, otherwise you'll end up with the infamous "noodle-limb".
we're not asking you to be the next da vinci. but i'm pretty sure that you do need to make a small study on how the anatomy of the human body works, do some excersises with a pen and some paper.

(i know this one is EXTREMELY BASIC but all in all this is what you should do).
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs20/f/2007/3...SiSero.jpg
(02-22-2012, 11:35 AM)Meta Wrote: [ -> ](i know this one is EXTREMELY BASIC but all in all this is what you should do).

That's how it should be : basic.

For the OP:
This is a good Tuto. Despite the text walls, what you can remember is: "Observe". Try to think art like a crime scene and track down the evidence. That's what I like about this tutorial: It encourages you to be independent and learn by yourself.

Finally, do what Meta said!