The VG Resource

Full Version: Classic Ninja Turtle - first ever sprite + Violent Ken custom anim
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
deleted
My advice?

Don't trace.

It's fine to use an image as a reference for light, colour, pose or design, but not to copy it exactly.
what should I do instead?
Try to freehand draw/sprite it while -looking at- the image, but not tracing directly over it.
On that note, even if you do reference the image, I recommend spriting a different angle and pose than your reference. It's not very interesting (or helpful) to copy your reference directly, be it by free-hand or trace.

Another tip: add more contrast between the shades of your colors. It will give it a more vibrant and appealing look. You have a pretty good numberof shades right now, just work on contrast and more noticeable shading.
Well if this really is your first time working with pixels I suppose tracing can help you in the beginning. However only use it as a tool of learning the basics!

If you really want to get into spriting, tracing is not something you want to continue to do.
I will certainly take that on board, no tracing, are there any programs or templates that could help me make a scratch sprite? Do people generally use an existing sprite as a template?

Thanks all for your replies ^^
if a sprite uses templates, then it's not custom, but rather an edit.

We encourage you to make something from nothing; that is, you can still use visual references, but not copy it.
If drawing in computer is difficult to you, draw in hand and scan to your computer, so if you use as reference a image that you draw its original and not copied.
Well I don't own a tablet or a scanner unfortunately - i'm working on that though. I suppose i'll do edits mostly until then, for practice.
Or work on something smaller, like you should be doing as a beginner.
deleted
what did you exactly "added" to this? i cant barelly see anything besides an horribly excuse of smile on ken's face, and i'm ausming thats what you added because its sloppy as fuck and its completely out of place.

the black lines are the result of you using an alpha channel on that effect you added for the fire, and then sacing it as a gif. alpha channels are partially transparent pixels that are not suported by the .gif format, therefore, your software turned them into solid, black pixels in order to be able to render the file.
I did say MINOR. the smile is the original smiles from SVC chaos, with a single trickle of blood (I wanted him to look a little beat up), also blood on the fists and the fire is frankensteined from some KOF sprite, Kyo I think it was. This was my first attempt at making an animation from a sprite sheet.

Thanks for the advice about the alpha channel.
title of the topic Wrote:Classic Ninja Turtle - first ever sprite + Violent Ken custom anim

title of the topic Wrote:Classic Ninja Turtle - first ever sprite + Violent Ken custom anim

By custom, you are supposed to mean 'an original animation that doesn't use an already made animation as a base'. And guess what, your animation isn't CUSTOM. That means, you didn't do much, made a shitty edit and didn't improve anything at all. Try something custom for real, we've already said that.
Pages: 1 2