The VG Resource

Full Version: Pokemon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
nope.
[Image: mUVBl.png]

since it's valentines day, I thought I would give this heart a shot to practice shading.

and for the giggles

[Image: XmCtG.png]
Unless you're spriting a perfectly square box, straight lines going on for that long aren't a good idea. I'm referring to the bottom of the heart.

The shading is really flat, also. If anything, it looks embossed?, and even that doesn't come across very well.

If you're going to sprite something that large, either add more detail or make it smaller.
i dont see why these long straight lines should not be used here, excuse me.

the problem with the shading resides in that the whole thing is flat, and lacks any kind of volume. if it is a 3D object, it should cast a shadow on the opposite side where the highlight is according to its shape, or the nature of the shape you want to give this object.
[Image: heart.jpg]
Even in the picture you posted, the heart is rounded and not at a perfect 45 degree angle. You could and should soften the edges.
There are various kinds of "heart" shape you can make. The sprite looks to me like a straight heart, but you can also have concave and convex (like the picture) hearts. It doesn't make much of a difference. There's no real problem with using straight lines in a sprite, as long as it doesn't look jarring.