The VG Resource

Full Version: Introducing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

Its my first post here and first let me introduce myself. My name is Gabriel and I am a game programmer(C++ / Allegro). I made tons of games, but always using sprites from tsr. But now I am hipnotized with the wonderful world of creating sprites from nothing, editing pixel by pixel. Tongue

So I started studing the tecniches around this world and I think i am making progress...
I am sending my first sprites that i made.. I want suggestions if i am on the right road and how can i improve.

Nice to meet you all.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/mysprites.png/

PS: sorry if i posted the link wrong, but its my first time here, so if someone give me tips on how to post images and others i would apreciate a lot.
Welcome to TSR! Please read the rules and enjoy your stay here! Wink

As a suggestion, I would say it'd be more convenient for us to see your sprites if you used the code of your image labeled "Direct Link" (instead of the one labeled just "Link", if you follow), then...

Code:
Your "direct link" should look like this:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7130/mysprites.png

Now put [IMG][/IMG] tags around it, just like so:

[img]http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7130/mysprites.png[/img]

And you get this! Big Grin

[Image: mysprites.png]
Oh good, so let me try...

[Image: mysprites.png]

by the way, what means C+C?? Comments and criticism??
I want an advice about my sprites...are they good?? what i need to do to improve my skills??

*learning*

[MJ EDIT: Yes, C+C means "comments and criticism".]
For a first timer, it isn't that bad.

I don't know if they're supposed to be pale-brown colored, but if not, I suggest changing it for a more lively color.

about the girl, change her hair, as it's jagged. use shading to represent volume, not simple shapes. For example, you could make her breasts to 'stick out' instead of looking painted. Increase contrast on the grays and give it some hue-shift (I'd give it a reddish tint). Use a more definite lightsource: in most of the work, you set the lightsource on our right, but the shoes shows highlights on top and the legs are shaded as if the light was on top of her.

The boy is pretty freaky because of the space between his eyes, bring them closer. Again, there is no definite lightsource on the piece and his armor is a messy blot. Increase contrast and cut out some colors, study how metallic objects are shaded and shrink his head a little.

also stop with the double question marks.
Thanks for the reply. I got it some points and work yesterday in the girl sprite. So this is my new result...
[Image: FEKFE.png]

I changed the hair completely, and realize that the face was too oval, so i "dry it" a little. Change the color to red, but i confess that i could not understand about hue shift. If someone please explain to me, i would apreciate.
Change the light source to above her, so the shading of head and other parts is correct...but
the chest is very wrong and i dont realize whats is wrong. So, how is your opinion about the changes?
That's... quite substantially better. The face is still awkward, though, and has very low contrast.

As for hue shifting, it's a technique that means you alter the hue of the colour when you pick your darker shades (usually making it drift towards blue), because natural shadows tend to appear slightly tinted towards the blue end of the spectrum (if you want an explanation, I suspect it is due to blue light being higher energy then red light, and thus in shadowed areas, only the higher energies actually reach it. Don't quote me on this, I haven't looked it up). It serves to make your work seem more natural and, if done well, can give some interesting effects.