The VG Resource

Full Version: Final Fantasy VIII models
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I tried showing some test models in the Model Discussion section to see if they were good enough for submission, but no one actually addressed that point...so, I apologize if these aren't good enough. It's hard to compare them to other models I've downloaded from the site, since those are from systems with much higher quality to begin with.

So, since I can't yet rip human models in a T-pose, and some of the models have thin polygons that get lost in Blender (I've got a new thread on the Model Discussion section about that) I'm just posting a smattering of monsters.

It's not very good, but I also made up a game icon, but...it's a little last-minute. Probably you'll want a better one. (I can make up a better one, but are there any suggestions about what it should show?)
[Image: FFVIIIicon.png]

EDIT--New download links to the modified models.
Sorry for taking so long to get to these. I've been quite busy!

To start, these are some very nice model rips. Fully rigged models, paired with formats like SMD, are always a real treat. However, there's just one little issue that should be fixed before I accept them. In each of the MTL files, the texture names try to use the complete path on your computer. Because of this, the textures won't import properly for anyone that isn't using your computer or an identical setup. This can very easily be fixed with Notepad. All you need to do is remove everything in the path and leave just the texture's name. (ex: ffdtex0.png)

Also, just as a note, the scale on the models are ridiculously huge! Pupu shows up at 19690 units tall. Is that really the size the game uses? It's not something that needs to be corrected or anything, I'm just curious.

Oh yeah, and it would really benefit you to learn how to render images. It'll make it a lot easier to make thumbnails and preview images, with no HUD getting in the way. Wink
Okay, I'll fix the texture locations with Notepad, then re-submit. And while I'm at it, I'll finally fix up that Death Claw preview image, which I totally forgot all about. Being me is frequently a sucky thing. Sad

As to the size of the models...well, that's the size they had when they came out of Noesis. They didn't seem very big in Blender, but maybe that's just a view thing. Thinking back on it, they were freakin' enormous in Metasequoia, so maybe it's actually a Blender thing that made them seem a more normal size.

I'll see if I can figure out how to get it to render, but I have a feeling it may not co-operate. I installed Python, but because I'm using an older version of Blender, it doesn't acknowledge that it's there. Sad I guess I should install the newer Blender version, but when I try using it on my older computer, I can't get it to do anything. (I really ought to learn how to use these programs before trying to do things that require them, I know, but...I'm just too impatient for my own good sometimes.) Actually, maybe I can get Metasequoia to render them...I hadn't thought of that...though I don't know how to use that, either... (Seriously, what's wrong with me?)

So, anyway, hopefully I can have them fixed up by tomorrow. And now that I know what was going wrong with some of the other monsters I ripped, I can post them, too. Smile (I'm still waiting to handle the player characters until I can experiment a little with trying to make Noesis put them in a T-pose. Maybe I can play around with that in the next few days...)
Just adding a quick reply to mark the thread as having a new post. The download links on the first post are now updated to the new .zips with the Notepad-edited models to have the full path name removed. Hopefully I did it right. (Checked a few, and they still seemed to work okay...)

I was hoping to have the others ready as well, but...those dang thin polygons still keep disappearing on me, even though I thought I found out what was wrong. Sad
Loving these! Though I think we can do with a better section icon. Tongue
(02-17-2012, 03:51 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Loving these! Though I think we can do with a better section icon. Tongue

This, and, your icons are wrong. They should not have the preview image background on them. Peardian will likely fix these, but I'd like to suggest trying Icon Maker V3 in the future.
(02-17-2012, 03:16 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2012, 03:51 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Loving these! Though I think we can do with a better section icon. Tongue

This, and, your icons are wrong. They should not have the preview image background on them. Peardian will likely fix these, but I'd like to suggest trying Icon Maker V3 in the future.

I was using Icon Maker V3. But it wouldn't let me paste in images with transparency--it was this or a blank white background. I remember noticing a thread about the program though; I'll look at that and see if I've been doing something wrong.

About the game icon, I agree it's bad, but I wasn't sure what to put on it. I'll see if I can think of anything...

Anyway, I have some more models ready. Or rather, these are the ones I was talking about earlier that I was having the trouble with in Blender. I never did manage to get Blender to work with them, but I did figure out how to get Metasequoia to give a proper render, so...I included a text file in the .zip warning that Blender has some problems with the textures that have transparencies in these models. (Or maybe that's just my Blender...) I'll fix up the icons after I find out what the problem is.

Okay, so that concludes my first--somewhat random--set of rips. Should I wait to post more until these are considered ready to be accepted, or should I just press on ahead at my own pace?
To make the icons, we all enter the text with Icon Maker, then save it empty, then open it, and render your model to exactly 95 x 79, as those are the exact dimensions of the icon and then place your model on the empty icon and save. Wink
Yeah, that is one of the downsides to the Icon Maker. I actually just made a post here that gives some methods to getting around it.
(02-18-2012, 09:14 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: [ -> ]To make the icons, we all enter the text with Icon Maker, then save it empty, then open it, and render your model to exactly 95 x 79, as those are the exact dimensions of the icon and then place your model on the empty icon and save. Wink

That would explain it. Smile I ended up doing something similar: I saved an entirely blank icon, put the model image over it, then copied the entire interior of the icon's image area, and pasted that into the icon maker. (If I saved the icon in Photoshop, it would get darkened because of whatever is wrong with my Photoshop. (I think what's wrong with it is that it's version 5.02...but it would cost money to get a newer one, so...))

Anyway, my life's been strangely busy the last few days, so this has been my first opportunity to come back online, and I haven't actually worked on my other rips yet, but I did at least fix up the icons. Rather than upload them all as separate image files, I just put them in a .zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?kwru8abr4pjuzk8

I haven't re-made the game icon yet, though. All my game screenshots were either from the CG cut-scenes, or they were of Laguna. I was tempted to use CG of Laguna and Raine embracing, but...I thought maybe that wasn't the best representation of the game. Tongue

I'll see if I can find some more representative screenshots of gameplay somewhere online. Uh, is that okay, actually? If I grab a gameplay screenshot at like gamefaqs or someplace to use for the game icon?
Loving this topic. Big Grin
(02-21-2012, 11:17 PM)SierraLatkje Wrote: [ -> ]I'll see if I can find some more representative screenshots of gameplay somewhere online. Uh, is that okay, actually? If I grab a gameplay screenshot at like gamefaqs or someplace to use for the game icon?

I've seen it done here and there; should be fine. Smile

Just grab a screenshot off Google Images, that's what I do when I'm in a pinch. Wink
Yeah, grabbing a screenshot from somewhere is fine as long as the quality is good enough. The less jpeggy it is, the better. Wink

And sorry if it takes a bit for me to get to these. You don't have to wait for me, I'll manage to catch up.

By the way, are these are enemies or what? I've never played the game, so I can only guess on how to categorize these.
(02-23-2012, 04:04 PM)Peardian Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, grabbing a screenshot from somewhere is fine as long as the quality is good enough. The less jpeggy it is, the better. Wink

And sorry if it takes a bit for me to get to these. You don't have to wait for me, I'll manage to catch up.

By the way, are these are enemies or what? I've never played the game, so I can only guess on how to categorize these.

I didn't see many screenshots at gamefaqs that I liked, so this is still a somewhat questionable icon, but...well, if it's still not good enough, I do have the .iso for disk one of the game, so I can play in a little ways and grab a screenshot from the early parts of the game if need be. (I'm just too lazy to do so unless I really have to. Tongue )
[Image: newgameicon.png]

And yes, these are all enemies. Although Odin is technically a Guardian Force, but this is his model from when you fight him to gain the ability to summon him. I haven't gotten to the player character models yet. I guess for categorization, the best thing to do would be to make three categories: player characters, enemies and bosses. (Since I only have battle models...) I'll make sure to identify which they are from now on. Although when I get to player characters, that'll be a little tricky, since Seifer and Edea are both player characters *and* bosses... Uh, anyway, of the ones already submitted, Odin, Tonberry King, Pupu and his UFO are the only bosses. Well, sort of. I'm not sure if Sorceress A counts as a boss or what. There's a sequence of fights against successively stranger sorceresses in the trip to the future, and they're all opponents you can never meet again, which I suppose would make them at least mid-bosses. (Been too long since I played the game for me to remember if the fights were tough or not...though with the enemies leveling up along with the party, that's not even a normal indicator...the random enemies tended to be harder than the bosses after a certain point in the game...) Anyway, you could separate Odin into a Guardian Force category, since there are several other GFs that you have to fight before you can summon them. (Tonberry King sort of falls into that category; you earn the right to summon him by fighting him, but what you're summoning is actually a regular size tonberry without a crown...which makes no sense to me, but...that applies to several other aspects of the game as well.)

Anyway...massive number of new models coming your way. Smile (If you change your mind about not wanting me to wait for you to catch up, let me know...otherwise I'm likely to keep chugging along like this...although in future I think I'll try not to do more than ten at a time...)

Next time, I'll group them by category instead of alphabetically.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7