The VG Resource

Full Version: Losing thin polygons in models
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In trying to rip the models from Final Fantasy VIII for submission, I've found that some of the delicate polygons seem to get lost in the process of opening the models in Blender. (In my earlier thread on the subject of the quality of the rips, this is evident in, say, the T-Rexaur's missing teeth, for example.)

However, this does not seem to be the case in other programs. When I open them in Metasequoia, all the polygons come through fine. The following screenshot shows pretty clearly the difference between Blender and Metasequoia's success rate on the thin polygons.
[Image: mesmerizeissue.jpg]

So, basically, I'm wondering if there's something I can do in opening them in Blender to prevent this problem. (Because I don't know enough about Metasequoia to take screenshots in it (can't get the textures to show up (the example above was taken in PMDEditor using an .x file exported from Metasequoia)) and I don't really know what I'm doing in Blender, either.) As far as I can tell, there isn't anything wrong with the models that have this problem in Blender, but I've uploaded several of them in a group file (http://www.mediafire.com/?5bp3ycoeg566i40) so that others can check it out to see if they're actually damaged, or if I'm just screwing up in Blender. (Admittedly, that's the more likely case.)

Also, does anyone know a good method to make Noesis rip models in a T-pose? I'm sort of holding off on the characters until I can figure out if there's a way. I know there are some advanced options for changing bone locations, but...I'm wondering if anyone knows what locations I should be telling them to be put in. (I know I can get the bone numbers from Noesis itself, but...as to the new placements...is it just a matter of trial and error or what?)
Are you sure the polygons that you say they are missing don't have the normals reversed in Blender? If they appear in other software probably that's the problem. Try to select the "missing" part or press A in Blender edit mode and see if the missing part is highlighted. If that's the problem go to the Mesh menu in the 3d view tab then Normals and play with that. (If you selected all probably Recalculate outside will work, if only the specific poly the Flip)
Well, it took several tries (I'm really bad at this stuff) but that seems to do the trick. Thanks! Smile