The VG Resource

Full Version: Pallate Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm starting out this thread with an issue of my own, but anyone with a pallate issue or concern can post here.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been working on making a custom pallate today, and I decided to compare it to Dawnbringer's to see how I was doing. I took my most recent sprite (The mini-gilbert from yesterday) And recolored it in both my pallate and Dawnbringer's, using the lightest grey of each for the background. Any critiques/suggestions for improving mine (I still need to make the orange and purples)?
[Image: 1253zvc.png]
Mine looks similair to the Mini-gilbert because the reason I started the pallate was because I liked how he had turned out.
i've got bad news for you: if you want to improve your color choices, all you have to do is study how colors works around you. it isnt just a matter of picking a certain set of colros and work from there. The reason is simple: there are no particular set of rules or standards as to what colors works best on each stituation, since they are depend purely on your desing choices and preferences as an artist. there are, of course, a bunch of guidelines you need to follow wich are basic and almost universal (contrast is a must in almost everything) but even then, you can push and work around these elements if it fullfills your vision of your work. and of course, you manage to develop your skill enough to make it look ok.

all you have to remember is that you're free and open to experiment and test all sorts of wacky and extravanagnt combinations as much as it pleases you.
Also, always experiment with hue-shifting (for example, if the main color is green, try shifting the color wheel a little more towards cyan to get interesting shading results), saturation (how vivid or grey the colors are) and luminence (the lightness/darkness). I generally just kinda play around with all of it to see what looks good. I shift back and forth between hues, a little and a lot, move the thingy around in the grey-ish areas, up and down and all around when picking darker shades (I always try to go a little greyer and shift the hue more for each shade of color from the previous one), and of course just make it darker than the last as well. You really just have to keep at it and try to come up with neat color schemes that work. Also make sure you keep looking at other people's stuff and try to learn from what they make as well, how they use colors and such.

Me, I've only made a few sprites in my lifetime, and yet, I've improved so much just by being a member here and seeing so many of other's works despite having only made 5/6 sprites during my time being a member here! It's kinda weird. Tongue