The VG Resource

Full Version: Mario Kart Double Dash Ripping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mario Kart Double Dash rips.

[Image: gameicon.png]
Characters are in the works, Im having spider eye issuesSad
Absolutely yes. Big Grin
YES!!
What? We don't have any Double Dash rips yet? This should be fixed at once! Yes, I'd love to see rips from this game. Big Grin

There are a couple of issues that you should take care of in this and future rips, though.

The first is that the textures are in TGA format. Though they compress well, they are in no way optimized, and take up a lot of space (like BMPs). PNG is your best bet. Image editors like Photoshop or GIMP can probably convert the images for you, though if you have trouble, I can help.

The second is that there isn't any .MTL file to go along with the OBJ. Without it, we have no idea which texture go on which mesh without trial-and-error testing. This is a little more acceptable with models that have only a couple of obvious textures, but with an entire stage, figuring that out can be a nightmare. Now, if for some reason the program you are using doesn't export MTL, it is possible to make your own.

Oh, and you can just ignore the extra Mario arcs.
Sorry but I have uploaded quite alot stages now, I'll try to change it to png for my future uploads. Didn't see your post so.
(02-06-2012, 04:16 PM)Peardian Wrote: [ -> ]What? We don't have any Double Dash rips yet? This should be fixed at once! Yes, I'd love to see rips from this game. Big Grin

There are a couple of issues that you should take care of in this and future rips, though.

The first is that the textures are in TGA format. Though they compress well, they are in no way optimized, and take up a lot of space (like BMPs). PNG is your best bet. Image editors like Photoshop or GIMP can probably convert the images for you, though if you have trouble, I can help.

The second is that there isn't any .MTL file to go along with the OBJ. Without it, we have no idea which texture go on which mesh without trial-and-error testing. This is a little more acceptable with models that have only a couple of obvious textures, but with an entire stage, figuring that out can be a nightmare. Now, if for some reason the program you are using doesn't export MTL, it is possible to make your own.

Oh, and you can just ignore the extra Mario arcs.

I hope you get to fixing the rips soon. I'm really looking forward to uploading these. Big Grin

Also, for the tracks that use vertex coloring, those are still permissible. Sure, they might not look exactly like in the game, but they'll still be complete rips of the stages.
I updated the link. Do you know when these are going to be submitted?
(02-06-2012, 04:56 PM)Peardian Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you get to fixing the rips soon. I'm really looking forward to uploading these. Big Grin

Also, for the tracks that use vertex coloring, those are still permissible. Sure, they might not look exactly like in the game, but they'll still be complete rips of the stages.

they would be uploaded faster if you did fix the textures to .PNG and make icons for the models and the game icon, just letting you know that Smile

as well here is the icon maker Smile

http://www.mediafire.com/?iizmbmy3idy

ok

i'll try to teach you ^^

ok step 1 download the icon maker (make sure you have java or you can't use this program)

then click on file new then choose model on the list, then sheet, then a blue box appears,

then click on text add text, add the name of the model

then click on file save icon

then whatever 3d program you have make the render size 95 x 79

printscreen F12 the model make sure it looks nice,

then use photoshop or another photo manipulation program to put the model onto the icon that u use in that program and get rid of the backround that came with the prinscreen of the model then save it as a .PNG and then your done.

for the game icon do the same thing expect on the second part choose game, then find a nice image of that game from the internet or take a screen capture from the dolphin emulator

Glad you added the .MTL, but you still need to convert the textures to PNG. I can upload them as soon as they are acceptable.

Also, thank you, senjen, for helping out a fellow newcomer. Smile
Thank you, and for the textures I will use a program called FormatFactory and I have already started making some icons here is the game icon
[Image: gameicon.png]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(02-06-2012, 05:39 PM)Peardian Wrote: [ -> ]Glad you added the .MTL, but you still need to convert the textures to PNG. I can upload them as soon as they are acceptable.

I have added all icons, all links are fixed to png. So when do they get uploaded?
(02-06-2012, 05:39 PM)Peardian Wrote: [ -> ]Glad you added the .MTL, but you still need to convert the textures to PNG. I can upload them as soon as they are acceptable.

Blargh. It figures the whole site would go down last night just before I could make a post. There's one more thing that needs to be done to these, and it's for the MTL files. Don't worry, it's apparently a common issue that a lot of people have to deal with, and all you need is a text editor like Notepad.

First, open up the MTL file in Notepad. as you can see, it's very structured and organized. The lines that say "map_Kd" control the path of the texture. As you can see, though, instead of just the texture name, it's listing the file's entire path on your computer. Because of this, the file won't work properly for anyone that isn't using your exact same computer setup. To fix this, simply get rid of the path from "C:\" all the way to the last backslash. Of course, there are a lot of them in the MTL file, so I recommend using Find/Replace to get all of them at once.
Edit: I just looked at the first file and it doesnt say C:\ or whatever. Just certain files or what? FUUUUUU Thats a whole lot of an update again so i just delete until I reach the file folder?... yeah fix this in a minute. Its my first try ripping so it isn't very bad I think..
(02-07-2012, 02:33 PM)Peardian Wrote: [ -> ]Blargh. It figures the whole site would go down last night just before I could make a post. There's one more thing that needs to be done to these, and it's for the MTL files. Don't worry, it's apparently a common issue that a lot of people have to deal with, and all you need is a text editor like Notepad.

First, open up the MTL file in Notepad. as you can see, it's very structured and organized. The lines that say "map_Kd" control the path of the texture. As you can see, though, instead of just the texture name, it's listing the file's entire path on your computer. Because of this, the file won't work properly for anyone that isn't using your exact same computer setup. To fix this, simply get rid of the path from "C:\" all the way to the last backslash. Of course, there are a lot of them in the MTL file, so I recommend using Find/Replace to get all of them at once.

Oh, huh, you're right, they're fine now. I thought there was a problem with the one I looked at... hmmm...

Never mind about that, then. My mistake.

Edit: Ah! Wait! Found it. It's not all of the materials, but some. For example, the water in Yoshi Circuit.
Edit2: Found another problem. Dunno why, but for some reason your MTLs have "map_kd" instead of "map_Kd" (capital K). This makes the materials not load correctly when importing, since the format is apparently picky.
I found it out too. It applies to Bowsers Castle, Mario & Luigi Circuit and Yoshi Circuit because I tried to fix vertex coloring
(02-07-2012, 02:42 PM)Peardian Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, huh, you're right, they're fine now. I thought there was a problem with the one I looked at... hmmm...

Never mind about that, then. My mistake.

Edit: Ah! Wait! Found it. It's not all of the materials, but some. For example, the water in Yoshi Circuit.

Pages: 1 2