The VG Resource

Full Version: GameDev Event 1: February 2012
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First off, thank you guys for your input! I think I have a good system here, feel free to ask questions but please PM me if you do have a problem with the system in order to keep the thread clean and on-topic.

We will all be given a feature to implement into whatever game we decide to make, already existing or new for the event. Unlike contests and competitions there aren't really any rules, this is just an experiment of sorts to get the community working and learning together. That means that you guys are allowed to (and encouraged to) help others with their implementation of the monthly feature and likewise they you.

So here it is, this month's "attractive" feature,

Magnets and Switches
Our first event will have us making games that use magnets and the ability to switch the player's polarity. Don't worry, it's not as hard as you'd think! You're free to take this gimmick and apply it to your game however you want.

How to Do It
It's simple really, just create a button that toggles a boolean variable and use that to determine the polarity of the player magnet. Create several non-player magnets and give them a boolean value for polarity. Now loop through a list of the non-player magnets. If the player magnet and a non-player magnet both have the same value for polarity (true and true or false and false) then move the non-player magnet away from the player magnet. Otherwise bring it closer to the player magnet.

You are free to use any language as we'll be focusing more on the logic than the syntax, but if you are having problems with the syntax don't be afraid to post! I'm also available to give personal HTML5 lessons via PM or Skype if anybody so desires.

So let's get the ball rolling and make tSR's GameDev forum a nice, active place to hangout! Smile

The event ends on February 29, but if you enjoy what you're working on don't let that stop you! You can always include next month's gimmick or algorithm in your ever-expanding game or even take this month's game to a whole new level and have an indie hit!
So let's say you lack the ambition to write an entire game file from scratch that uses this implementation, but you think you can write a code that can do this. Can you post your versions of the code here or would you rather see finalized proof-of-concepts?
lol Wow, nice idea. I'm wondering how many people will join.

Will it count if I just program the "magnetic glove" item in my Zelda game? :p
(02-01-2012, 01:14 AM)oB2Kojjiro Mario Wrote: [ -> ]So let's say you lack the ambition to write an entire game file from scratch that uses this implementation, but you think you can write a code that can do this. Can you post your versions of the code here or would you rather see finalized proof-of-concepts?
If you can't think of a game then yeah, just post the code or something. Or better yet, if you know how to do it you can help others do it Tongue

(02-01-2012, 06:39 AM)DiamondDustSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]lol Wow, nice idea. I'm wondering how many people will join.

Will it count if I just program the "magnetic glove" item in my Zelda game? :p
Yes! Any sort of switchable magnet will do!
I'm tempted.
I am just going to say that I appreciate the effort and all,

but for someone that don't even know how to program basic stuff (i.e me), I don't think it'd be as useful.

I know that you can make interesting stuff with this programming, but it'll be no use if you don't know how to make a character appear and be affected by gravity. just my two cents.
Someone should post some basic tutorials for the different languages.
I know, Gors, but I had a hard time finding a balance Sad

I'll think up a super-beginner thing though! It's just that almost none of the GameDev events have any turnout.

I gotta think of something that'll teach programming and be something fun...
This sounds interesting: I'm usually too worried that I'd screw shit up experimenting with gravity so yay!
This intrigues me *rubs chin*
I think I'll give it a shot, it sounds fun Big Grin
(02-01-2012, 08:53 PM)Kakashifan Wrote: [ -> ]This sounds interesting: I'm usually too worried that I'd screw shit up experimenting with gravity so yay!
I hope you understand the gravity of the situation.
Screwing up doesn't matter here - this is all in good fun. If you mess up, who cares? If the card house you build collapses, you don't stop. You start bulding another one.
(02-01-2012, 02:43 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]but for someone that don't even know how to program basic stuff (i.e me), I don't think it'd be as useful.
Once someone creates it, they should create an explanation. I'll probably make one tomorrow, no time right now. I'll make the tutorial easy for super beginners to understand!
yoyogames has tuts for GM. It's easy enough, comes in a PDF and should be easy to branch off of with your own stuff.
Interesting idea. I might whip up a quick level or two in Flash and link to the SWF or something.

Also, if anyone needs help with ActionScript 3.0 or is interested in code, PM me. I'll probably post the main code logic once/if it's finished though.
Just an idea, can we do something w/ physics next?
Pages: 1 2