The VG Resource

Full Version: [IN DEVELOPMENT]The Legend of Zelda: Oracles Remake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Introduction:
Hmmm… where to start? Oh, right, I’ve been thinking about making this for a long time. It’s been an off and on idea, but I’ve recently became inspired from another Zelda fan game. The idea here is to completely remake both Oracle Games in Minish Cap sprites. I’m hoping people who haven’t played the original will enjoy this as I have enjoyed the originals.

Story:
The story is just like before, you have to save girls in both. For those who haven't played, in Oracle of Seasons, you are in Holodrum, and you are given the ability to change the seasons. Want to cross a lake? No problem, make it winter and go past the snow. This one focused on action. The other one, Oracle of Ages, you given the ability to change from the present and past. Want to climb up a cliff? Go back in time and plant a seed. This one focused on puzzles.

Engine:
I’m creating this engine in GameMaker 8.0. I’ve actually started this project over the summer, but I quit pretty early on. I’ve recently picked up my engine again and it’s going pretty great so far. I will release the engine in the future.

Screenshots:
Well, I have some screenshots of some maps I’ve made as well as some test rooms for the engine.
[Image: load-1.png]
[Image: load-2.png]
Unfortunately you guys are going to have to wait until I rip some dungeon sprites before I even begin making a dungeon.

Ideas:
Here are a couple of my ideas for this remake. I plan to add a few new features not available to the original game. I’m actually thinking about whether or not these ideas will break the game in any way, if you’ve played the original, call me out if anything seems wrong.
-Rolling: Won’t be unlocked until half way through the games. I’m thinking Bipon and Blosson’s son could teach you this move and maybe even later teach you to the sword slide.
-Transferable weapons, more secrets: I’ve been thinking that after you beat the game, maybe you could transfer all weapons between the two games and this could create a pretty crazy twist. Imagine going to the past in Oracle of Seasons…
-Get rid of linked games, make player have to travel between dimensions to progress and link the story lines more together. Not sure how it would work, doing this is debatable.
-Free roaming camera. I need people who’ve played the original to say whether they would like it or not. Not sure if it will break the game.
-A third game after you beat the first two, like how it was originally planned. I’m open to suggestions.
-Include Links Awakening remake, I haven’t played this one but it was made by the same company and uses the same engine. Someone else would have to make it.

So yeah, although I’ve got some progress, but it’s still an idea until I start getting the story parts done and that won’t happen until I complete the engine more. How far am I? So far, I have:
-Sword swinging and holding. No spinning yet.
-Switch between weapons in a menu. The menu has is missing lots like saving and such.;
-Rolling, but it will be locked, see the ideas section.
-Power Bracelet, pick up pots and pans. Picking up and throwing works. I’ve also added pulling, but I don’t remember if the original had this (lol have to whip out my Gameboy soon).
-Enemies, still in early stages. Octoroks only move, but don’t shoot. You will get damaged if you touch it. You can kill the enemies with the sword.
-Textbox, in development, very early, partially works.
-Fainting, when you have no health everything will turn black and you will fall and die, but there is no continue screen yet.
-Grass, breaks when you hit it with the sword and drops rupees randomly that the player can pick up.

Help me:
Any help will be appreciated and your name will be added to the credits. Eventually, I will need certain sprites, mostly bosses. If that time comes, I will announce it. I will also look for beta testers in the future.

Any ideas help too. Don’t know when I’ll release a demo, maybe in a few months.

Right now, I’m in need of an Impa sprite, Minish Cap style, that looks like the one in the Oracle series. Any takers?

(01-28-2012, 06:43 PM)DiamondDustSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]-Free roaming camera. I need people who’ve played the original to say whether they would like it or not. Not sure if it will break the game.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but as far as the camera goes, it should be like in the games, having the player centered as good as possible. Moving the camera independently from the player would just feel weird mand doesn't fit zelda.

(01-28-2012, 06:43 PM)DiamondDustSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]-Include Links Awakening remake, I haven’t played this one but it was made by the same company and uses the same engine. Someone else would have to make it.
Wasn't LA made by Nintendo EAD and the Oracles by a Capcom team (like the original Four Swords and Minish Cap)?

I'm curious what you're making this in. GameMaker?
(01-28-2012, 06:43 PM)DiamondDustSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Engine:
I’m creating this engine in GameMaker 8.0.

Tongue
(01-29-2012, 05:37 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-28-2012, 06:43 PM)DiamondDustSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]-Free roaming camera. I need people who’ve played the original to say whether they would like it or not. Not sure if it will break the game.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but as far as the camera goes, it should be like in the games, having the player centered as good as possible. Moving the camera independently from the player would just feel weird mand doesn't fit zelda.
Link wasn't centered in the oracle games. The camera was fixed and when you touched the edge of the screen the next one would slide in.

Keep it like that.
(01-29-2012, 05:37 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't LA made by Nintendo EAD and the Oracles by a Capcom team (like the original Four Swords and Minish Cap)?
Oh, guess you're right. Point is, they use the same engine, so when I am done with the engine, LA wouldn't take long to make.

(01-29-2012, 05:37 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious what you're making this in. GameMaker?
Yes. Is this a problem?

(01-29-2012, 09:46 AM)Woppet* Wrote: [ -> ]Link wasn't centered in the oracle games. The camera was fixed and when you touched the edge of the screen the next one would slide in.

Keep it like that.
Sounds good.

I'll probably start programming the first story scene today. Makes it easier for me since in Oracle of Seasons, Link doesn't get his sword for a while. I haven't started mapping Oracle of Ages yet. Anyone like Oracle of Ages better? If you guys like Ages better, I guess I could do that one first. It will take a while before I get the seasons mechanic done, mostly because I have to create new tiles.

I still need an Impa sprite, there are no taker, I just make her myself, but the more help the better. Anyone who makes an Impa sprite can even submit it here (I'm getting my Din and Nyaru sprites from here).
Ages is better but in canon it happens after seasons chronologically.
Might as well start with seasons.
(01-29-2012, 10:32 AM)DiamondDustSpirit Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. Is this a problem?
Nah, I was just being curious (and totally missed that part in your post).

You're right there Woppet. My bad.