The VG Resource

Full Version: Portfolio - copyright issue?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I just happened to come across this forum a while ago. I'm currently working in a game industry as an animator and feel really glad to find all the ripped game character models here.

I have a question though. I'm planning to build some animation portfolios using some of these game characters. Do you think there will be copyright issues in using them? I know there's this Dead Fantasy video in YouTube, an animation that uses characters from Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive and there seems to be no problem with it. Still, I'm just making sure because I really have no idea. Is it alright to animate the game characters and show them as portfolio as long as I don't use them for making profit purposes?

Really appreciate your replies. Thanks.
as far as I know, there's no problem in using copyrighted material if you don't intend on getting profit for it (it falls on fan artwork). But if you're making a portfolio, I think you could benefit more if your works were 100% original, imo.
Really glad to hear that it iwould be considered a fan work. Now I can start working on it to my heart contents. Thanks again for the reply.