The VG Resource

Full Version: Everyone Loves Fruits!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For some reason my sister dared me to sprite lots of fruits. So I made these, there are more to come. I would like some crit on what I have already done before I go on.

[Image: fruitlikefruits.png]
Overly small, very square lineart, lack of contrast and bad colours.

That's what jumps out at me.
(01-24-2012, 12:38 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: [ -> ]Overly small, very square lineart, lack of contrast and bad colours.

I added some more contrast, with some hopefully better colors thrown in.

And I'm not exactly sure how to make my apple much less square... I'm still pretty new to spriting Tongue
I dare you a bigger challenge

make the fruits at least 64x64

this way, you can test out more techniques and it'll be good experience than making small pixels.
And experiment with texture while you're at it. The spots of an apple, the pitted surface of an orange peel, etc. Actually, I would recommend drawing them first, then spriting them.
(01-24-2012, 12:50 PM)sponge7325 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-24-2012, 12:38 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: [ -> ]Overly small, very square lineart, lack of contrast and bad colours.

I added some more contrast, with some hopefully better colors thrown in.

And I'm not exactly sure how to make my apple much less square... I'm still pretty new to spriting Tongue

I see no difference. You certainly didn't add more contrast.
yo hoeloe
don't get me wrong, i know tsr is hard on people so i know where you're coming from

but since he's actually making a point of trying to improve, don't be grating just for the sake of being grating
don't sugarcoat, but
yeah
you get my point

Anyway, yeah, you're gonna have to work on something bigger here.
It might not seem like it, but smaller sprites are actually much harder to work on since you have to make details stand out with not-much room to work in.

Try doing what Gors said and making these at 64x64. That will help you more to get started with learning lineart and shading techniques.