The VG Resource

Full Version: ShadeDBZ's M&L sprite attempts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I'm giving spriting a try again.
[Image: iqPhHjQFbx6Hp.png]
Super Mario Galaxy bee.
It looks rather fatter than the ones in the game... You should also make the nose a bit smaller to show its spiky teeth at least a little.
What do you think of this?

[Image: ibpPz4VEey6Qn8.png]
his head looks extremely pillowshaded, and his wings are gradient. Fix a proper lightsource.
Tried adding a light source, not sure how well it turned out.
[Image: iyAe1YkpAXRlV.png]
Also, just for basic style reference, I added a mario beside it.
that looks nowhere near being in style to begin with.
(01-18-2012, 10:31 PM)M9999 Wrote: [ -> ]that looks nowhere near being in style to begin with.

Umm..Okay, how can I improve the style?Smile
by studying it, by understanding how characters are designed and built into the context of the enviroment they are displayed, by knowing how colors afect them and wich colros you should use, and also knowing how to shade properly.

and that is right after you can transfer mario galaxy's concepts into super starsaga's concepts.

shit aint just about using the same palettes and keeping things in the same size.
Okay, starting from scratch.
Here's the basic shape of the bee.
[Image: ikXhXFhhBpSkQ.png]
I'd like to fix any problems you see with the basic shape.
a few quick things I noticed style-wise:

- your light source comes from the left, should come from directly above
- black is not allowed in the sprite except for the the outermost outline, or things that are black like Mario's stache
- use a black outline instead of that dark blue-ish color
- (i could be wrong on this one) I think M&L stye sprites are symmetric about a two-pixel wide line. i.e., you need to make your bee 1 pixel wider or less wide

also, ditch the pillowshading and banding, and see if you can tinker with the roundness of the head and body.
(01-18-2012, 10:55 PM)X Gamer 66 Wrote: [ -> ]a few quick things I noticed style-wise:

- your light source comes from the left, should come from directly above
- black is not allowed in the sprite except for the the outermost outline, or things that are black like Mario's stache
- use a black outline instead of that dark blue-ish color
- (i could be wrong on this one) I think M&L stye sprites are symmetric about a two-pixel wide line. i.e., you need to make your bee 1 pixel wider or less wide

also, ditch the pillowshading and banding, and see if you can tinker with the roundness of the head and body.
I actually noticed the light source after posting it, and I also changed the outline color when I posted the basic shape.
I'll fix the symmetric style though. Smile

First of all, try to make it larger. Right now it's so small and squat you won't be able to do anything properly with it - why is its head an oval? (Two by two circles are incredibly difficult to shade, so make sure to make its feet and hands bigger, at the very least). Then go in and try shading it just as with the Mario sprite, including the black outline and bright cartoony shading, if that's what you're trying to do.
Someone get Ridge in here. Tongue
Okay, I've been tinkering with it again, I'm not sure this is any better though...
[Image: ipTt7X3FJN0sg.png]
There's quite a bit of banding and what appears to be gradient shading. You don't need to do that.
Pages: 1 2