The VG Resource

Full Version: Some Basics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would really appreciate some help with improving my spriting ability because I don't practice very often and it's starting to really show.

First thing I need help with is shading and line art.

So here is a sprite of Nyan Cat because it's awesome.
[Image: nyanq.png]
Please C+C
Not enough contrast. Make the dark shades, particularly the grey, darker.
[Image: FUlqm.png]

i havent pushed pixels in awhile but uh heres an edit

i think your colors are pretty usable you just need to push the lighting + shadows a lot more, right now your piece is looking flat as cardboard. you also had an extra light gray you weren't using, if youre going to use a color in one small area either dont use it or find ways to make it work in other areas. basically you just need to give it that extra depth, everything else looks fine as-is. i changed the eyes because im just used to them looking like that on the original lmao
Thanks! That's just the example I was looking for! I'll keep practicing and post something else later to see if I've improved any.

Edit:
So I would like to take it step by step.
[Image: hatshading.png]
Here is a simple sprite and how I would normally shade it. I don't feel like I'm doing it right because it doesn't feel like it has depth like your nyan cat edit. So what should I do first when shading this?
you should start by taking that apple in your signature, place an apple(a real apple) next to you, and study how does light affects it.

take notes or make sketches if necesary. then translate said notes into the apple you pixeled.

you can experiment with multiple light sources, or diferent types of lightsources and see how the colors on the apple are afected and how shadows are casted upon it.

once you can develop this simple exercise, i'm pretty sure you'd be able to understand how light affects more complex objetcs and then, it will be easy to apply said knowledge into your spriting.
I didn't draw the apple but I'll try it anyway Big Grin

Edit:
Here it is so far
[Image: appleuy.png]
So is it looking better.
that is one amazingly huge improvement.
So what should I work on next?
keep working on other objects. do not just sit there and expect some kind of homework. it is your interest in practice what should motivate to you to study and get more experience.
OK thanks for the help I'll keep practicing Smile
Do remember you have posted 2 other pieces in this thread but you haven't shown any changes to them,
if any.

You could work on making those better, too.
True. I'll work on them and post my progress.

Edit:
Any Better?
[Image: hatsune.png]
their poses are completely off and come out as unnatural.

the eyes are just way too big for her face, there's a complete lack of knees and hips.

one solid piece of advice you can take when working on sprites is that not everything needs to be outlined. shading is a way more powerful tool when trying to define shapes. you'll notice that when you work on a scale as small as a single pixel, you'll need as much room as posible. and with the proper use of shading, you can even work below the size of a pixel.

it all comes from practice and experience, and the proper study of other sprites to get some ideas on how to solve these situations.
How's this?
[Image: hatsune2.png]
I know the pose is really static but I'll work on it.

Edit:
This is a little better but are the legs to short?
[Image: hatsune2.png]
It's better, but the hair and face look really odd.
Pages: 1 2