The VG Resource

Full Version: Heihachi sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Uhm... So yeah.. Hi! I'm new here! Actually, this is like my first entry in a forum... Ever. But I've been browsing this site for a while now and I decided to create an account because I need some constructive criticism.

[Image: heihachicostume3.png]

Heihachi Mishima from Tekken. Here seen with his "player 2" costume from Tekken 3. Just a simple "breathing" animation that should be animated very slowly, considering the small size and number of frames. I decided to get rid of the gloves, because I noticed that I had forgotten about them just as I was about to save it, tried recoloring the hands and it just looked better without them.

I've been spriting for a few years now, but like I said, I've never actually posted anything on the internet so I'm not really sure about how it looks... It would be really nice if I could get some constructive criticism so that I know what I can improve, and maybe learn a thing or two Smile.

(Oh, and in case you're wondering.. He's supposed to have kind of a big head. That's pretty much the only way I draw people, it's much more fun that way Big Grin)
welcome, and as far i can see, congrats for working on a custom sprite.

though i'd reccomend to avoid trying to fit so many small details into a sprite of such size.
It could use some more contrast, especially on the grays and browns

The closer arm and the opening of the clothes are sharing a line. Umm, I forget what that's called, but I'm pretty sure that's a faulty technique. Since the arm's supposed to be in front, it shouldn't be sharing the exact same vertical line. It should be moved over or something. Sorry, I'm not really sure how to explain it, but if you still don't get what I mean I'll point it out later. The arm and shoulder aren't really shaped right in general. The way the different joints connect looks really awkward, especially the way the forearm connects to everything on the closer arm.
(01-05-2012, 03:54 PM)M9999 Wrote: [ -> ]welcome, and as far i can see, congrats for working on a custom sprite.

though i'd reccomend to avoid trying to fit so many small details into a sprite of such size.

Thanks! I see what you mean with that detail thing.. But I don't really know what to do about it... Any suggestions? I mean, I've tried to remove some of the black outlines but then I bump into another problem: contrast.
And it might actually look good as it is once it's in a fullscreen game, in which it would be larger... I was actually planning on making some sort of platformer/beat 'em up Tekken fangame in Game Maker 8 pro, but I won't start on anything until I've got some sprites to work with.

Anyways, here's a little update, I've fixed the top of the head and added a (rather dull) walking animation!

[Image: heihachip2.png]

I could probably make him move his arms a little bit, but for now I'm just focusing on getting his legs to move normally...
Oh, and try to ignore that black pixel on his head on the last walk frame, I noticed it the second after I uploaded it here T_T
(01-05-2012, 05:47 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]It could use some more contrast, especially on the grays and browns

The closer arm and the opening of the clothes are sharing a line. Umm, I forget what that's called, but I'm pretty sure that's a faulty technique. Since the arm's supposed to be in front, it shouldn't be sharing the exact same vertical line. It should be moved over or something. Sorry, I'm not really sure how to explain it, but if you still don't get what I mean I'll point it out later. The arm and shoulder aren't really shaped right in general. The way the different joints connect looks really awkward, especially the way the forearm connects to everything on the closer arm.

Aaah! Thanks, I didn't notice that! I'll fix it immediately!
[Image: heihachilinething.png]

Better?

By the way, here's a contrast fix (I hope):

[Image: heihachicontrastfix101.png]

And another thing (man, I should read the entire posts before i do something), I'll have to look into that wierd arm thing... Exactly how should I fix this? Should I try moving the forearm up a bit?