The VG Resource

Full Version: WWF Royal Rumble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
If you have sprites which overlap each other, you can always import quicksaves with vSNES 2.91 to delete single sprite pieces. Screentone, ripple effects and mode 7 are also no problems for this tool.
Was this the one Doink was in?
(01-06-2012, 12:53 PM)Deathbringer Wrote: [ -> ]Was this the one Doink was in?

No, that's the next one, WWF Raw.

Hey I remember this game! You're ripping these extremely quick, hope to see more!
Sorry to ask, but as SHADEDBZ mentioned - you're ripping these at an incredible pace. Can you show me how you're ripping these, so that I can believe that you are legitimately doing so?

(01-08-2012, 09:24 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to ask, but as SHADEDBZ mentioned - you're ripping these at an incredible pace. Can you show me how you're ripping these, so that I can believe that you are legitimately doing so?

Thank you for the compliment. Here is what I do. (Sorry about it being poorly written, I don't really feel like explaining, so I did this half-assed)

I pick a wrestler, then start a two player match, so I can do whatever I want. I save the state using zSNES, then use SNESPal to black out the other wrestler and the ref, and also change any black in the wrestler I want to almost black (1,1,1). This way the other wrestler and the ref are the same color as the hidden background and ropes, and there is no pure black in my wrestler. I hide the two background layers (the ring and the ropes). Then I go down my list of the moves I have (below) and the number of frames for each. I figured these out with my first 3 wrestlers: hitman, undertaker, and razor ramon. Then I perform each move and take snapshots using the F1 snapshot incr frame command. Then I take them in groups of 60 and use the Load Files into Photoshop Layers command from Adobe Bridge to bring them into photoshop. I then run a simple recorded action of mine to remove the black from each frame (which leaves only the wrestler I want and the health bars and chair). Then I remove the health bars and chairs using another simple recorded action of mine to delete a selection from each layer. This works because the health bars and chairs are usually in the same area in each frame. Usually the wrestlers are in the middle, and not interfering with other layers' health bars, but when they do overlap, I have to hide that layer, so that part of the wrestler does not get deleted. After I am left with just the wrestler, I duplicate the frames into a shared photoshop file, where all 350 or so frames are in order for the wrestler I am ripping. I then align the bottoms and the middles of each frame, trim the canvas, and run a script I found called layersToSprite, which resizes the canvas to 20x the width of one sprite, and height that will fit all the sprites. Then it puts them one next to the other, creating the sprite sheet I upload. After it is done, I compare it to the other sheets I have done to make sure they are lined up properly. Sometimes I accidentally did an animation facing the wrong way, or missed a couple, and I will fix that problem manually (usually using the same process above: take snapshots, load into photoshop, remove black from each frame, remove areas from each frame, duplicate into the wrestler's photoshop file in the proper place, and re-call layersToSprite).

The whole process takes me a little over an hour per wrestler, and took about 2 weeks and a whole lot of different failed techniques to get this one I like. Since it only takes about an hour per wrestler, the only thing that keeps them all from being done is I get bored doing it, and have to do something more entertaining after a couple.

Also, if you notice most of the finishing moves are not in the sprite sheets. That is going to be a b----, because I have to do each wrestler having the move done to them (each wrestler will have to be tombstoned, and each wrestler will have to be sharpshootered, etc). Hopefully the flying elbows and some others are just ground hits and other reused animations, although I haven't looked into it yet. So I will have to do 12x11 more setups, palette edits, and its going to increase the size of each sheet by about 11 rows.

Here is the animation reference I created with the first three, and use for the rest: animation name followed by number of frames.

stand face down 1
stand face up 1
walk down face down * 6
walk down face up * 6
walk back face up * 6
walk back face down * 6
climb up top right * 7
bounce left 6
run 6
punch 5
kick 5
hit 3
run into 5
lay 1
get up 6
ground hit 3
roll up * 4
climb out (left side) 11
climb in (left side) 11
eye gouge 6
eye gouged 9
start choke 1
choke loop 4
end choke 1
start choked 1
choked loop 4
end choked 3
tired loop 2
grapple high start 1
grapple high winning 1
grapple high losing 1
grapple low start 1
grapple low winning 1
grapple low losing 1
suplex 7
suplexed 8
headbutt 6
headbutted 7
scoop slam 6
scoop slammed 5
atomic drop 11
atomic dropped 11
backbreaker 9
backbreakered 9
irish whip 6
irish whipped * 2
monkey toss 6
monkey tossed 6
throw out 6
thrown out 8
dropkick * 9
clothesline 1
clotheslined 6
stomp * 4
elbow drop * 8
splash * 15
knee drop * 9
top rope elbow drop * 8
pin 4
pinned 1
pinned kick out 6
victory 1

* walk up is walk down reversed
* walk forward is walk back reversed
* climb down is climb up reversed
* roll down is roll up reversed
* irish whipped goes into run
* drop kicked is run into
* stomped, elbow dropped, splashed, knee dropped, top rope elbow dropped is ground hit

Also, I am only ripping these because I am a programmer and wanted to use these animations in my own project, and I couldn't find the sheets anywhere. I am only uploading them to this site because it's a great resource, and there is no reason not to.

However, again, the only reason I am doing them is because I want to use them in my project. You guys can do with them whatever you want.
Why don't you try vsnes? Maybe it can even give you the missing pieces from the ring.
(01-08-2012, 12:16 PM)Davy Jones Wrote: [ -> ]Why don't you try vsnes? Maybe it can even give you the missing pieces from the ring.

The missing pieces are going to help me line up the attacker and the attackee.
Thanks for the suggestion, though. I might look into it this week.
That makes sense, but I would include the complete sprites as "extra".
I looked at it and it doesn't look like there is complete sprites for everything (they are as cutoff as napalm made them). In fact it looks like the wrestlers reuse pieces of each other (compare Razor Ramon, Macho Man, and Shawn Michaels).
Pages: 1 2 3