The VG Resource

Full Version: Blaze the Cat - Retro Style Sprite Sheet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just encase a few of you somehow remember me, I used to be 11up on the older Pixeltendo message boards, (The fact that I'm still using my 11up_photos account on Photobucket is probably proof enough.) and this sprite sheet has been sitting on my backup disc for nearly two years now. It's about time I submitted it here!

Direct Link : http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg38/..._WIP-1.png

[Image: Blaze_WIP-1.png]

If walls of text set your eyes on fire, you can easily skip this spoiler tag and read the tl;dr version below. Jeez I can be so verbose at times!

Hi guys! I noticed this place doesn't have a complete Blaze sheet yet, so I took Cylent Nite's Blaze standing sprite and finished a complete set of sprites for the hot feline in high heels; go nuts fan gamers! All credit goes to the aforementioned spriter, as I used his sprite's head as a base, I just simply animated it and brought it to life! Animation is my undying passion! (Btw, the rotated sprites were rotated using RotSprite, and then cleaned up by hand.)
Also, the Title screen sprite was drawn from scratch. I could have done better with the shading around the eyes, but some attempts to fix it have been messy, and the end result was fair enough for me to use in my fan game, so I'm happy! Since my strange fan game project won't be done for some time, I felt the need to release this sheet so everyone else can benefit from it as well.

EDIT : I forgot to make this clear. The sheet IS in-fact done, because I don't plan on adding any more animations to the sheet. Although I am open to criticism if any of the completed animations here are lacking in anyway.

EDIT 2 : Ah geez, I forgot to upload a preview thumbnail! Well, here it is now. =P

[Image: 1-11.png]

I hope my New Year's Eve release is up to par with the Spriter's Resource's standards. Enjoy!
It's not that often our newcomers have such good customs. Great work!
Reminds me at the Modern Genesis Sonic Project.

Very good =)
Yeah, that's amazing Surprise Keep up the great work!
S3&K style, or S1/S2? Can't tell.
At the bottom of the sheet there is an alternate palette for Sonic 2, so I'd say its S3&K
The sprites don't conform to any of the palettes in the megadrive games, I'm afraid, so it's neither Sonic 2 or Sonic 3&K. The shading style, however, does fit with Sonic CD and Sonic 1 quite well, so I'd say it conforms to those games the best.

As to why I included the Sonic 2 palette : I just wanted to show that the game's palette already has all the right colors for it to work, which might encourage a geek or two in the Sonic hacking community to put Blaze in their hack, or a character hack in general. (Like Sally in Sonic 1, for instance.) I'd do it myself, I really would, but I just don't know where to start, and lack the time to figure out 68k assembly, or the right tools to implement the sprites themselves.
Quote:Reminds me at the Modern Genesis Sonic Project.

Very good =)
I remember that project, Deebs and her contributors accomplished a lot of amazing work. I actually wanted to wait for Deebs to finish her own Blaze sprites, but something told me that wasn't going to happen anytime soon, and she hadn't posted enough sprites of Blaze for me to work with on my own, (At least enough for me to remain true to the style she was going for.) so I gave Cylent Nite's Blaze the royal treatment. Outside of that, I'm still tempted to use her Sonic in my fan game, but I'm conflicted, 'cause the shading would conflict with the Sonic 1 style shading on Blaze and Tails.

Anyway, I'm relieved that the sheet is receiving positive attention. Genki ^_^ I get so overcritical about my work, at times, I almost didn't post it. That feeling's gone now!

Also, this more than likely won't be my only submission. As I work on graphics for the mostly original bosses I have planned out for my fan game, I may submit those too as I complete them, if they're original enough. I would post up my background art as well, but almost half of that is recycled from other Sonic games, so you couldn't call them customs at all.
This is fantastic - I've put it up on the site for you now Smile
Yay! This looks nice! I wonder if someone could port this to Sonic 2?
This is like two months old Thegameexplorer.Sad
(03-14-2012, 12:42 PM)thegameexplorer Wrote: [ -> ]Yay! This looks nice! I wonder if someone could port this to Sonic 2?

I won't warn you, but please be mindful of post dates because you have necroposted a few other times. Blank