The VG Resource

Full Version: My introduction / Sample thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let me start by introducing myself. I go by Hasan, or Ha5an or h454n. I started getting into game making at a very young age with a few friends and found that I kind of had a talent for spriting. Its been a long time since I've gotten into the scene, but recently I've been spriting and again rediscovered my old passion, using it as a bit of a stress relief.

I'm not sure if I could make a career out of it since I dont think NES or serria point and click games are doing so hot now a days (would be nice though, right?), but I do have a lot of free time right now and like to sprite. I'd like to share a sample of what I'm working on right now, it's not ready to be used but criticism is always nice.

[Image: sprtiessample.jpg]
Not that I'd want to smash your feelings, but... Those things there are far from being so great that you'd need to put a watermark all over them to prevent theft. Besides the fact that the file is a jpeg anyways.
See, adding watermarks and saving as JPEG is ju8st ridiculous and it makes it hard to judge a sprite's quality.

That doesn't mean you shlould stop, though. Keep on spriting, post sprites here (without watermarks and as PNG files) and you might get C&C which will help you to improve.
Welcome to TSR,

Let me just say that saving your work in JPG format pretty much destroys it. You should always save as PNG or BMP.

Take a look at the spriters dictionary here: http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...?tid=13868 for good tips.

I'll let somebody more experienced give you actual crit.
(12-31-2011, 06:10 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ]Not that I'd want to smash your feelings, but... Those things there are far from being so great that you'd need to put a watermark all over them to prevent theft. Besides the fact that the file is a jpeg anyways.
See, adding watermarks and saving as JPEG is ju8st ridiculous and it makes it hard to judge a sprite's quality.

That doesn't mean you shlould stop, though. Keep on spriting, post sprites here (without watermarks and as PNG files) and you might get C&C which will help you to improve.

I understand that and I should have known better than to make it a jpg, but im designing these sprites for some underground game and sharing them through their forum. I wouldn't want my work to "accidently" turn up under someone else name, but I guess doing that here was just me being lazy and not wanting to upload another image.

Tell you what, after my next revision I will post them in their original unwatermarked bitmap version Smile

(12-31-2011, 06:10 AM)Altrez Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to TSR,

Let me just say that saving your work in JPG format pretty much destroys it. You should always save as PNG or BMP.

Take a look at the spriters dictionary here: http://www.spriters-resource.com/communi...?tid=13868 for good tips.

I'll let somebody more experienced give you actual crit.

That link is very handy! I learned some new things, already!

Coming here, I see, was a good decision Smile
Your knights could use more contrast colours, also light reflections on their armor. Same goes for their equipment.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4153]

Ok so here is the sprite set I've made, to submit for use on the game.

Mod edit: No attachments.
i can tell you you're far, far away from even the remote posibility of making a career into spriting at this very point. it aint anywhere near as a free time hobby wich you could use to get some bucks from, unless you start working seriously into refining your skills, techniques.

as for now, absolutely nothing on that unnecesary watermarked sheet is worth much to be critiqued, besides the issue about having no knowledge of colors, shading, contrast and readbility.
yup.

Complementing on what M9999 said, pixelart is art just like painting or drawing. You need to know some basics before making sprites for career. Outlining, proper color choices, anatomy, you gotta know all these to be a good pixelartist.

Go learn some of these techniques, apply them into your work, and post here without those huge-ass watermarks. We'll gladly help you if you agree on being a better spriter.