The VG Resource

Full Version: Turn Based or Real Time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A question that has plagued me for ten minutes.

Which type of RPG game play do you prefer:Turn Based (I.E. Final Fantasy) or Real Time (I.E. Tales Of)

I may self prefer Real-Time, because I like action in my battles, despite the fact that people often say there is no strategy to Real-Time, I disagree. I admit, there is less strategy in Real Time than Turn Based, but you do have to think a little in Real Time games.

Plus, I'm slow, and I get killed to many times in Turn Based Games.

Discuss.
Real time.
There are a few exceptions where I like turn based, like chrono trigger.
I think a mix of the 2 works best, like in Eternal Sonata, but overall I'd have to say turn based.
Damn, and here I cam into this topic thinking it was about strategy games.

I suppose turn based, allows for more thought, more finesse. Then again, real-time is a nice break of pace from time to time. I prefer TB RPGs but a good RT RPG is fun.

And RTS beats the heck out of TBS, just saying.
I like both, but I prefer turn based.
I prefer turn-based with real-time elements (Paper Mario, Elite Beat Agents, etc...).
I prefer real time, turn-based may be better because you can plan a strategy and not worry about the opponent killing you while you make it, but real time is a lot faster and it doesn't seem as much like the enemy you're fighting is immortal.
Turn based. Sometimes I need to take my time.
Real Time. It's just much more fun.
Hmm... I'm torn between the two. Is there another style? People need to start thinking of new ways for RPG battles.
FF1-6's ATB was nice, because, although turn-based, it rewarded you for quick acting by allowing your character to attack before the enemy would have if you took longer to decide.
Turn Based. There are a few occasions when real time works, but mostly it leaves itself to the mercy of bad battle mechanics and design.
ATB from Final Fantasy VIII owns both of them. it's like a fusion of the two styles
Well, I like both a lot, but it really depends what I'm in the 'Mood' for...like right now, I'm replaying Red Alert 2, it's expansion(Yuri's Revenge) and Wind Waker(not so much strategy, just Real-Time), and I'm thinking about busting out the old PS2 and playing some KH2

but midway through this semester, I'll probably be back to the old Final Fantasies, and Pokemon...Although, I kind of hope not, since Red Alert 3's coming out =P
I like turn based with hints of real time like Mario and Luigi.
As for strategy games I can't stand RTS but love TBS.
Pages: 1 2