The VG Resource

Full Version: Cave Story HD sprites.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since Cave Story 3D just got released, I decided to make a HD sprite of the WiiWare version.
C+C
[Image: TGkMU.png]

--Please give me critique instead of your opinion on the game. I do not care if you like or do not like the game.--
i fail to realise how is this suposed to be High Definition sprites. care to elaborate?
Recolorme probably means "Higher definition than the original sprites" sprites.

(11-29-2011, 09:46 PM)M9999 Wrote: [ -> ]i fail to realise how is this suposed to be High Definition sprites. care to elaborate?

I also fail to realise how this is a constructive comment and not just a dig at somebody using a term that is quite obvious what he meant.

As for the sprites, the things that bother me are the fact that you've made everything kind of rounder - I understand you're making them have more detail, but the arms are now really long and in a totally different position to the original sprite.
The feet are also way more round, and no longer flat on the ground - notice how you've added this round back to them that isn't on the old ones? Have you ever seen shoes that do that?

Because of what you did to the arms, they now look too long - if you notice on the old ones, full stretch down his hands are at his pockets (just like they would be on you, if you have normal length arms.) and on yours, if full stretched would be almost touching his feet.
That goes for his right arm too - it's too low. It goes down to his knee already - and on the old one, the furthest bottom pixel is hitting his pocket line.

I also think you could work on some of the hair being spiked a bit more.

I like what you've done with some of the details like the cape though - keep working on it, it does have potential.
Thanks for your crits.

I've updated it.

[Image: vcaVS.png]
Is it me, or does the eyes look small? :/
could you maybe not use a white background? His skin is white so it kinda blends with the background.
The eyes look thin compared to the other two. That's mainly because the eyes are the same thickness as the next size down from it. Not saying you necessarily have to double the size, but one more column couldn't hurt.
The cap kind of looks like a nonsensical blob to me. Make the brim look more like a brim.
[Image: CdCwd.png]
Not sure about the backround. The white of the backround doesn't blend with the white of the sprite.
(11-30-2011, 04:37 AM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2011, 09:46 PM)M9999 Wrote: [ -> ]i fail to realise how is this suposed to be High Definition sprites. care to elaborate?

I also fail to realise how this is a constructive comment and not just a dig at somebody using a term that is quite obvious what he meant.

oh sure, let me elaborate.

resizing a sprite 400% and redrawing over it =/= increased definition. sprites of such small size often are designed to maximize readbility over aesthetics -wich sometimes leaves them with some weird anatomy choices-.

specially if you fail to translate the details of the original sprite into the new one, all tehse details will simply make no sense/look completely unnatural

in simpler words, you need to rework the sprite entirely based on the original desing of the first one rather than just fill and round up the blockyness of the resampled version. this aint "HD". its just another sprite edit.
I really like it. The one in the middle could be made into a very good sprite sheet.
(11-30-2011, 10:13 PM)sponge7325 Wrote: [ -> ]I really like it. The one in the middle could be made into a very good sprite sheet.

Just a clarification: the middle one is not his.
(11-30-2011, 07:16 PM)M9999 Wrote: [ -> ]

resizing a sprite 400% and redrawing over it =/= increased definition. sprites of such small size often are designed to maximize readbility over aesthetics -wich sometimes leaves them with some weird anatomy choices-.

specially if you fail to translate the details of the original sprite into the new one, all tehse details will simply make no sense/look completely unnatural

in simpler words, you need to rework the sprite entirely based on the original desing of the first one rather than just fill and round up the blockyness of the resampled version. this aint "HD". its just another sprite edit.

I wonder why people needs to take at least two posts to give good C+C but ok :I

but yes, basically you need to use the original as reference, not draw over it. Let me get you an example

[Image: hogan__s_high_def_alley_by_gorsal-d3c3rh4.png]

you need to use the fact that your working area is bigger as an advantage, and add details that you couldn't with a smaller sprite. Notice the high-def sprite's beard, or cloth folds, for example. Those details add up to the original's visuals and thus, gives higher definiton to the piece.
(12-01-2011, 07:45 AM)Accelgors Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2011, 07:16 PM)M9999 Wrote: [ -> ]

I wonder why people needs to take at least two posts to give good C+C but ok :I

but yes, basically you need to use the original as reference, not draw over it. Let me get you an example

[Image: hogan__s_high_def_alley_by_gorsal-d3c3rh4.png]

you need to use the fact that your working area is bigger as an advantage, and add details that you couldn't with a smaller sprite. Notice the high-def sprite's beard, or cloth folds, for example. Those details add up to the original's visuals and thus, gives higher definiton to the piece.
Now THAT'S hi-res. Can't even tell it's a NES sprite revamp.
Quote:oh sure, let me elaborate.

Alright. Who said I traced it? Look at what gors said.

Quote:I really like it. The one in the middle could be made into a very good sprite sheet.
It's the sprite from WiiWare. I'll work on some animations on the sprite.

Also, what more details can I add?
Pages: 1 2