The VG Resource

Full Version: Possible TCG League
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So there was a discussion about card games recently (as in within the last few minutes...), and the idea of having a TCG league for tSR members came up. I'd like to try and spearhead the initiative, but depending on which card game is chosen I may hand it off to someone with more knowledge of the chosen game.

The three main games that were mentioned are:

Magic: the Gathering
Play with people without their cheetoe fingers greasing up your cards
Several different multiplayer formats, including Commander (my personal favorite), Archenemy, and Emperor
Lots of supporting programs
The original trading card game, large community and a long history.

Yu-Gi-Oh
Play with people without them screaming about Dark Magician
Decent multiplayer capability
Many supporting programs
The biggest numbers of any TCG. Big numbers!!

Pokemon
Play with people without annoying kids bugging you
Multiplayer harder to pull off, but possible. Team games are a more likely prospect than free-for-alls
Few supporting programs
Everyone loves Pokemon, right?

Whatever game we decide to play, I would personally use the program Lackey - http://www.lackeyccg.com/ It supports all 3 mentioned games, as well as many other card and miniatures games and has the capability to make your own cards or TCGs.

So before we get into tl;dr territory, let me ask the community a few questions:

Would this be something that would interest you?
Which game would you like to play? (Feel free to suggest something I haven't mentioned.)
How would you like to organize this? Have a set day? Give out prizes to tournament winners? (love or something.) Or just sort of wing it?

If you're really interested in this idea, then get in contact through skype, msn or pm and we can work something out.

Cute

I recently got into magic.

My friend's college was giving out magic cards.

He snagged two of each different set they had, one for me and one for him.

http://www.mtgvault.com/Profile.aspx?UserID=72398

That one deck on there is my favorite Green deck that I have, I wish there was a program where you could imput your cards then battle people online.
(09-05-2011, 03:49 AM)Kat Wrote: [ -> ]That one deck on there is my favorite Green deck that I have, I wish there was a program where you could imput your cards then battle people online.

Lackey is basically that, and there are other options specifically for Magic that are more active and well-known. (Cockatrice, Magic Workstation) Lackey is my preferred program though.

Your green deck reminds me of what I did when I first started out! If I may suggest some budget beginner solutions:

Wurm's Tooth doesn't do much. Unless you're playing around it (which is rare) life gain isn't a really powerful effect.
Add more Arachnus Webs, if you have them. Their use is limited but if you're restricting yourself to mono-green, they're one of the only pieces of removal you have access to. If you like the webs, try getting an Arachnus Spinner and more spiders so your webs keep coming back.
Try consolidating your cards. Take Llanowar Elves and Overgrown Battlement, for example - they both make green mana, but the Battlement would probably suit your purposes better (unless you decide to focus more on elves, seeing that you have a Joraga Treespeaker in there). Another group of creatures with similar effects - Garruk's Horde and Pelakka Wurm. I would recommend cutting the Wurms and adding in the one Horde in their place.
It's better to have 4 of one sort of card than 1 of 4 sorts of cards. Makes it easier to get that one card you need.
Finally, Melira could probably be sideboarded. If you're not playing against an Infect deck she doesn't do much for you. Add the Birds of Paradise instead - they're great.

If you'd like, I could help you set up Lackey and we could play a few games. Smile
Yes, Please lets do this, you make me excite
i'm getting in this
does it have triple triad
I'm in.
I'd love to get in this.
Okay, so now that there's some interest in this...

Would you guys like to organize something? Like a date/time to get this started... or are we just going to play pickup games?

As for me... I'm up for Commander or just plain ol' Casual anytime I'm online. Check my online status on tSR or Skype and bug me if you want to get a game going.
Sounds good! I'm going to have to get used to the program first, but when I do, I'll send ya a challenge. ITS TIME TO DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DU-DUEL.

Had to, just had to.
how you gonna do a tcg league without me
Chad, long time no see.
What's up Big Grin

Also I pick Pokemon but only becuase I already understand the metagame