The VG Resource

Full Version: The Bastard, WIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: jqmkjl.png]
Pretty much WIP, but I'm stuck on shading the skin. Thats always my biggest problem. I'm at the point of giving him hairy arms.
No real massive complaints, I mean it is a wip. As for shading the only real suggestion I can give is hue shifting. I always found skin easier when doing that, not to mention you can pull off some really chill shading by using blues in your hair, shirt and even darkest part of the arms, and purple in the arms. Just a suggestion
[Image: 3532qg6.png]
A bit of an update, tinkering with the pants, not that happy with them, so back to the drawing board with them.
EDIT: I know a lot of people dislike me here, but I'd appreciate some more feedback :L
it's still wip for now but once you start giving it more definition we'll be able to say more about it.
It's pretty much done except for shading and thats where I'm stuck. Mainly on skin, I have such trouble with it :C
i think you should make the silhouette less jagged, ie "correcting" the outline as you check it.
also, i think you should restart the shading on the shirt and trousers, since it currently doesn't convey volume.

if you're not comfortable about how to shade it, look up a reference you feel you can emulate. as usual, i'd recommend you not working on a black or white background, as it tends to make palettes pure and bland. giving the background a colour gives a context to your subject.

anyway, i hope you'll stick to finishing this!
(09-02-2011, 01:34 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: [ -> ]i think you should make the silhouette less jagged, ie "correcting" the outline as you check it.
also, i think you should restart the shading on the shirt and trousers, since it currently doesn't convey volume.

if you're not comfortable about how to shade it, look up a reference you feel you can emulate. as usual, i'd recommend you not working on a black or white background, as it tends to make palettes pure and bland. giving the background a colour gives a context to your subject.

anyway, i hope you'll stick to finishing this!

Okay, I shall check into some ref's after my Composition class, thanks for the advice Chris, its very appreciated! And I definitely not let this slip as its for a project I'm working on thats a tad hush hush! Wink
EDIT: I'm so glad I have a tablet now though, it makes this a lot easier for me, as it feels much more natural drawing rather than using a mouse.
(09-01-2011, 09:06 PM)Flannel Bastard Wrote: [ -> ]I know a lot of people dislike me here, but I'd appreciate some more feedback :L

Who are "a lot of people"? We missed you (I did anyway). Sad

Your sprite's looking good so far! Like Chris said that white is kinda an eyesore. You may wanna start AA'ing the outlines sometime too (jaggies bug me Tongue).

P.S. I'm glad you changed your name back. Big Grin
i don't think aa is necessary for smooth outlines, but it is a possibility.
(09-02-2011, 02:39 PM)Mighty Jetters Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-01-2011, 09:06 PM)Flannel Bastard Wrote: [ -> ]I know a lot of people dislike me here, but I'd appreciate some more feedback :L

Who are "a lot of people"? We missed you (I did anyway). Sad

Your sprite's looking good so far! Like Chris said that white is kinda an eyesore. You may wanna start AA'ing the outlines sometime too (jaggies bug me Tongue).

P.S. I'm glad you changed your name back. Big Grin

Ohh, I won't go into it because I don't want to start a fight, but they know who they are Tongue
[Image: 6rptg0.png]
A bit of an update. I realize the shading on the arm is jarring, I'm looking at different refs and seeing what'll work though Smile So I'll knock it down somehow.
I think the arms are looking a little long and I hope you end up shaping the feet more properly. The pants could use more contrast...I guess we'll wait and see what happens!

edit: oh wow you posted while I was messing around oops

okay uhh
new stuff
make sure you pay attention to the lightsource when you're shading the arms. The way you shaded the pants makes the knees look way down there; the knees should be like halfway between the ankles and the crotch I think. More contrast in the hair, too.
(09-03-2011, 03:35 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]I think the arms are looking a little long and I hope you end up shaping the feet more properly. The pants could use more contrast...I guess we'll wait and see what happens!

edit: oh wow you posted while I was messing around oops

okay uhh
new stuff
make sure you pay attention to the lightsource when you're shading the arms. The way you shaded the pants makes the knees look way down there; the knees should be like halfway between the ankles and the crotch I think. More contrast in the hair, too.

Okedoke, I'll get the lighter shade for the hair brighter, and the pants shading was temp, but I'll get on fixing them up, thank you for the advice!