The VG Resource

Full Version: [APP] [IN DEVELOPMENT] Desktop Sprites by Caustik
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Have you ever wanted random sprites wandering around your desktop, interacting with your windows and jumping around for no apparent reason, obeying some 2D physics?

No? Well, here it is anyway =P

http://sprites.caustik.com/

[Image: screen-1-200x.png]

NOTE: The bug described by Gors below has been fixed, so XP should work
I'm interested on this, but can we make custom characters? this is going to be pretty handy if yes c:
(08-03-2011, 04:22 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]I'm interested on this, but can we make custom characters? this is going to be pretty handy if yes c:

Yep, the .spr files are JSON text files that you can use to create your own sprites. You can use animated GIFs for the states, too. Hopefully the sprites it comes installed with are enough to help, I haven't had the chance to document the file format or create a visual sprite editor yet.
well, I tried running it but ran into an error:

'The path '/n /root' doesn't exist or it isn't an directory''.

I'm using Windows XP SP3, should this happen?
(08-03-2011, 04:28 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]well, I tried running it but ran into an error:

'The path '/n /root' doesn't exist or it isn't an directory''.

I'm using Windows XP SP3, should this happen?

Sounds like the installer incorrectly detected that you have Vista, so it set the "sprites collection" shortcut to use the search feature. You should have a directory like this that you can navigate to manually, until the bug gets fixed (I'll check it out right now):

C:\Documents and Settings\caustik\Local Settings\Application Data\Sprites\collection\

- bahhh.. looks like file extensions aren't being registered correctly for XP. You'd have to drag and drop the .spr files onto sprites.exe to make it work, for now.
I did the path and installed the program there, but problem still persists.
(08-03-2011, 04:44 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]I did the path and installed the program there, but problem still persists.

Updated my last post, sorry looks like the file extension isn't registering on XP -- so you have to navigate to the "collections" folder mentioned in my previous post, and drag and drop that into "sprites.exe" which is up a directory from that.

Sorry that it's kind of a pain in the neck, but give it a shot and I'll work on getting that stuff working for XP.
Alright, XP works now. At least with default sprites =)
Man, those were the days. I miss those old Desktop Buddies. This is really awesome, I hope this becomes really popular!
Ah wish I could try it, it seems pretty cool.
heh, really nice! It works just as I imagined; simple and effective.

the only problem is that I often forget where I left it; is there a way to always keep them on top? also, could you make it move with a constant speed and only go faster when you press a run button together? It'll feel even more retro this way.

thanks for fixing it c:
(08-06-2011, 01:55 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]heh, really nice! It works just as I imagined; simple and effective.

the only problem is that I often forget where I left it; is there a way to always keep them on top? also, could you make it move with a constant speed and only go faster when you press a run button together? It'll feel even more retro this way.

thanks for fixing it c:

Always on top sounds like a really good option to have. I wonder if it should be the default? Probably almost everybody who tries it is going to have that same reaction "they keep disappearing!" .. hmm

Constant speed + run button is a good idea. Probably Shift button for run would be the most natural right?

I'll update this thread when I get a chance to add those features.
I second rakia's comment.

This really seems like a cool little app.
This is such a fun little application, I enjoy it a lot. XD But is there a way to mass delete them? I'm kind of regretting spawning 200 bots and an aol link.
My computer puts up warnings every time I try to download it. Has anyone had any issues with their computers since they downloaded it? I just want to make sure I don't download a cleverly disguised virus onto my computer.
Pages: 1 2 3