The VG Resource

Full Version: Video capture card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, kind of an uncommon question, I suppose, but I think there's some pretty tech-inclined people that frequent here that could help me.

I'm looking for a video capture card that would be able to capture video from a wii and gamecube and then be able to be managed with a program (XSplit) on my computer that combines video onto one feed. What I'm trying to do is to stream live a video camera and feed from the capture card at the same time, but that isn't really relevant, I suppose.

So I was wondering if any of you guys have any recommendations for a specific capture card that would work for my situation. Price isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to get the best value I can. If you guys happen to know a better program to combine two feeds together, let me know, too, please.

Thank you all very much in advance. Smile
I'm actually interested in the same thing - but I'm more interested in High-Def video capture.
I've already done some of my own research, so I guess I'll answer my question for particularly Dazz.

I bought the hauppauge hd pvr and a dazzle recorder and intended to capture video from standard definition consoles (like my wii and gamecube). The dazzle was wonderful, it displayed perfectly clearly without any lag. It was only 50 dollars, too.

The 200 dollar HD PVR was a real, real hassle. It requires you to own a HDTV to be able to see it on your television (well, you can see it, but it's in black and white.) Also, playing standard definition consoles on it produced a horribly laggy and blurry result, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

So it really depends on what type of source you want to capture from, Dazz. I'd go with the plain white dazzle if you're looking to record from a standard definition console. If you're going for an HD console (like the 360 or ps3) I'd still stick away from the hauppauge. The dazzle has its own HD version, which is black and 80 dollars. It's far more reliable.

Though, with the dazzle, you can't get the audio directly off the dazzle with just basic programs. Ironically, the program that came with the hauppauge allows me to get the audio off of it, but otherwise you can't. You'll need a 2 male and 1 female splitter to have the feed go to your TV and the dazzle, and one of those audio adapters with two female and one male end to plug into your computer's sound card, so you can trick it into thinking that the feed is a microphone.

I could just be talking, though, if you'd like more details, PM me and I'll be glad to answer. It was kind of a fiasco figuring this all out, so I'm more than willing to help somebody else out.