The VG Resource

Full Version: Panache Animation Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am just going to post my color blocking WIP animations and other sprites here for a game I am perpetually working on.
Feel free to critique them. I might be a bit slow in incorporating your criticism though because I don't work on this a lot.

[Image: Xiaoai-Roll-WIP001.gif][Image: Xiaoai-Jog-WIP002.gif]

There's also this but I've scrapped it. I want to begin anew with a new jump animation.
[Image: Xiaoai-Jump-WIP005.gif]
Then do a walking animation, running animation, and uh, a dozen other ones.
Pretty awesome animations. I'm sure they'll look really awesome once all the shading and stuff is in. Big Grin
holyshit

HeartHeart

I love how your sprites are so fucking smooth, thernz

the only criticism I can give you atm is that the legs on the running sprite doesn't loop as good as the arms/body. It looks wobbly at times, and the drawback of the leg could be better.
i agree imho.
How's this for the drawback?
[Image: Xiaoai-Jog-WIP003.gif]
I didn't fix any of the wobble-ness because that seems like stuff I could polish when I add details and render things. I don't really like the back leg though.

ehhh looking at it again i could still fix the drawback some more, all i did was make it less snappy welp
(08-01-2011, 07:47 AM)thernz Wrote: [ -> ]i agree imho.
How's this for the drawback?
[Image: Xiaoai-Jog-WIP003.gif]
I didn't fix any of the wobble-ness because that seems like stuff I could polish when I add details and render things. I don't really like the back leg though.

ehhh looking at it again i could still fix the drawback some more, all i did was make it less snappy welp

I think you should lengthen her stride.
her feet land too flat, if you see what i mean. you did the same thing for the walk animation you posted ages ago, that i edited. :p

for now they curl back, but when it comes to landing, the feet seem to stay horizontal.

the rest is looking great!
Such Smoothness is inconceivable!
The rolling sprite is really well done, this must have been quite time consuming

Off Topic: What program did you make these with?
@GrimmJeel
Thanks! I use GM7's sprite editor and Microsoft GIF Animator. l-lol.

(08-01-2011, 01:55 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: [ -> ]her feet land too flat, if you see what i mean. you did the same thing for the walk animation you posted ages ago, that i edited. :p
lol woops. I guess that error is hard-coded into my subconscious...
[Image: Xiaoai-Jog-WIP005.gif]
(08-01-2011, 01:16 PM)SirZadaben Wrote: [ -> ]I think you should lengthen her stride.
I actually ended up shortening the stride in this because someone said the leg went too far back. Hopefully, the problem you had with the legs were in conjunction with Chris's reasoning! I think it would turn into a run if I extended the stride anymore anyway, and it's a jog.
[Image: ZDUIz.gif][Image: Xiaoai-Jog-WIP005.gif]
here's a silly edit of your jogging sprite. I know it isn't much, but it looks like a more plausible cycle to me now.
i intentionally slowed her down and made her pant, just to add a bit of pathos Shy
I like the idea of panting, but I'm not sure how well it would work in the context of the game's environments. If I made the game, it would consist of her going around inside buildings just talking to people. Then again, jogging inside is awkward context too but for the sake of being a game, she has to jog instead of walk. I don't want a walking animation whose speed is too fast that she slides, and etc.

I could also add panting if she gets "tired"/jogs too much within a timeframe too, I guess.

I like the foot edits. I'll try incorporating their shapes when I shade it. Sometime. Smile
The panting was a joke, but okay! :p
Well I liked the idea of characters getting tired in-game.
joke taken serious can originate interesting ideas, apparently c:
[Image: OmnilithGift.png]
Small thing for a friend's birthday. Tried to make dialogue as awkward and clunky as possible.
the way you positioned the doorknob in the background makes it look like she's holding a gray something, I'd move her from there to avoid any misreadings

and this is more of a simple change but make the colored words match up with its meanings (mainly changing 'fever' to red and 'doctor' to a more neutral color) because I think it'll make much more sense this way.