The VG Resource

Full Version: How to draw on Aluminum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm doing a commission to where this person wants to me to draw Pyramid Head from Silent Hill onto an aluminum casing. I was wondering as to what I would need to draw such a thing on there to where it would stay? If anyone has any ideas on what supplies I would need, I would greatly appreciate it! I've tried searching around but I haven't found any good answers ) :
as far as i'm concerned, you need to use a primer aditive first and then you can paint it using regular spraycans or even acrylics, as far as i remember(dont take my word on the acrylics though). of course, depending on wich specifical kind of aluminium you're going to use as a canvas.

its pretty much the same process used in painting clothing. you use the specific primer as the first layer where you are going to paint the character, you let it dry, and then you use whatever other paint you wish to use over it. the fucntion of the primer is to ensure the paint will stay on the surface and at the same time will protect the paint from decaying over time

PS: in any case, you're probably going to get a better answer at your local hardware shop.
Thank you so much for this! I never used spraycans before so I'm hoping acrylics will do fine...I'll definitely ask someone at a hardware shop like you said though before moving too forward with it. Thank you once again!
sure thing. be sure to post to know how everything went.
It really depends on the primer you can find, whether it will accept acrylics. If you CAN'T find that kind of primer, look for Enamels. They will work on a lot more than acrylics, and you might not even need a primer (I'd still recommend one though. Unfortunately I don't know what kind of primers work on aluminum and what they'll allow to adhere to it.)

If you need something to sketch on it first, try a Stabilo All Pencil. They're water soluble, write on lots of stuff including metal, and they come in various colors.
i'm pretty sure there are primers specifically develop for aluminium.
Come on man, take that question through the PM system. Don't hijack his thread.

I really can't help you on this matter I'm afraid, Star. :I
Since some of the other supplies were quite pricey, I just got some black primer, made a stencil, and sprayed it on the aluminum casing.

It came out quite well and the customer was satisfied. So thank yall so much for helping! : )