The VG Resource

Full Version: Summit Stage SSBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is Summit from SSBB, Please feel free to comment about anything that could improve it!

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7093/...tempt2.png
Moving thread to Sprite Discussion
It seems you have the right idea with color choice and general shading, but it looks more like a sketch. This lacks detail.
[Image: 25hegw5.png]

Got a little carried away, likely due to the awesome palette, heh. I'd either recommend adding detail or trying to smooth out the 'shading' with AA. Perhaps adding patterns like some of the mario games.
75m, flat zone 2, mario bros or yoshi's island (both versions) are the easiest ones to do so i would recommend doing them first and then spriting something more advanced like luigi's mansion, green hill zone or shadow moses island.

(07-22-2011, 12:04 PM)SHADEDBZ Wrote: [ -> ]I'll take suggestions for another level.

i'll have you not. improve your current one to a decent quality rather than spawn multiple pieces of crap.
Tell me what needs to be done and I'll do it. This is my first custom, so I'll take any helpful comments!
[Image: The_Summit.jpg]
you can start by giving the ice parts of the stage an actual ice texture, and you do that by either checking references on how people has done ice textures(in games or in other works of pixel art). that alone should be your main focus right now.

also remove that useless tag no one gives a fuck about it.
[Image: jaggy.png]
There's jaggy lines everywhere, fix it.

However if its to look like the 3d model it's okay, but i doubt that's the case.
you should explain him what a jagged line is, and how he should fix it as well. otherwise yelling "fix it" doesnt really helps anyone towards "fixing" a problem without giving a solution.
honestly, the jaggy lines actually go well with the jagged and natural texture of the ice. if he can use it to convey the depth and the texture of the ice, i don't see why the jagged lines are such a problem.

i'd suggest starting over, but keep the pallete. block in the basic shapes, using the screenshot as a reference. try to get the basic idea of the stage in first, before you go on to detailing it. study the forms and how light affects your perception of depth. don't be afraid to be messy, you can clean it up later. get your basic idea down first, and try to go with a unifying pallete. you'll better unify your pixel art if you start with the basics first.
Cytric Acid has a point, but anyways heres the Sprite Dictionary for all your spriting needs.

Read the jagged lines section and the anti-aliasing section to avoid the same mistakes again.Wink
Yup, it's getiing better.Smile
i do appreciate the fact you tried to add texture to the ice background, but it looks bland and flat; that's why i suggest you start over and block in the basic forms and colors. break down the reference into basic geometric 3D shapes, it will help you immensely to understand how light hits and shows you the form. considering the fact that the stage itself is a polygonal formation, it shouldn't be too hard to do so.

also, whats with the mac style background? it shouldn't hurt to do a pixelized aurora borialis, in fact if you can do it correctly it will look way better than just the background you're using currently.
(07-22-2011, 03:45 PM)Cytric Acid Wrote: [ -> ]i do appreciate the fact you tried to add texture to the ice background, but it looks bland and flat; that's why i suggest you start over and block in the basic forms and colors. break down the reference into basic geometric 3D shapes, it will help you immensely to understand how light hits and shows you the form. considering the fact that the stage itself is a polygonal formation, it shouldn't be too hard to do so.

also, whats with the mac style background? it shouldn't hurt to do a pixelized aurora borialis, in fact if you can do it correctly it will look way better than just the background you're using currently.

This did take a while to finish. Is there any way I can improve the current one without completely restarting?

Pages: 1 2