The VG Resource

Full Version: [IN-DEVELOPMENT] Soulforce World - Positions open for Sprite Artists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there, my name is Chee Hang, and I’m the director/creator of an up and coming video game, Soulforce World.

I would like to announce positions open for sprite artists who would like to prove their talents and work on something worthwhile, as this is an ambitious undertaking that I have been working on for a long time, but have found the team and talent that I have been looking for.

I am looking for sprite artists that can be able to do character and object sprite work, background sprite work, portraits and detailed sprite work, menu element sprite work, and special effects sprite work.

Gameplay

[Image: SFWGameplayMech001.jpg]

The game is a camera controllable, 3d-2d isometric real time, open ended action RPG game. Gameplay will involve a real time action battle system, special minigames, problem solving, exploration, and unique spins on traditional systems of gameplay, interfaced with an innovative control setup that allows a much wider variety of actions and abilities. The game itself will be written in C# and XNA; however, an engine is still being investigated, our likely engines being Unreal or SDK.

Our presentation will show Soulforce World in an Anime style, but more akin to 90’s era anime and video game based anime styled art found back in the 90’s.

Graphics will be rendered in simple 3D, with sprite textures being implemented to allow sprite activity, in a manner similar to Ragnarok Online.

Story:

A single story in the series of episodic tales surrounding the affairs of Neirraopolis, a planet in which the underlying mystical and spiritual forces of existence have weaved its way into the very fabric of reality itself, a vast world, beautiful, grand, lush and abundant in indefinite resources and wonder, but also just as brutal, merciless, and ferocious. Notably living there are the sentient beings known as Ciealieans, human-like creatures spawned from infernal and celestial forces, born of the seas and soil of Neirraopolis itself, and given the right to use Magic, the ability to harness the forces of their very souls to affect and utilize the world around them in their forms of expression.

Existing amongst Ciealiean kind are the Nefarious, the demonic influenced, gifted with heightened physical attributes and senses, and being able to empower magic through the sole use of emotion, the Ennoble, the celestial influenced, gifted with heightened cognitive reception, mental capability, lithe agility and greater learning capabilities, allowing them to delve into the inner workings and mysteries of the world, and the Poens, Ciealieans born of the unity and alliance of the two races, allowing them the capabilities of both races.

Throughout Ciealiean history, they hold stories of heroes and extraordinary people, of many walks of life and from many foreign lands, far and wide, who have continually performed deeds of great effort and daring undertakings that have impacted Ciealiean society at large and helped them avoid catastrophe.

One such story, takes place in the Age of Enrichment. Massive advancements in the fields of Dynamisology have allowed nations all over the known world to enjoy a comfortable standard of living. Known nations of peoples all throughout the world have finally established legalized trade after years of exclusion and cold wars. People have diverted their attention away from industry, allowing them to pursue luxury and affluence. This also has caused a growth of higher power in the field of defense, reviving incentive and opportunity for brave adventurers and warriors all over the world to traverse lands untouched and unknown.

People are also starting to focus on the societal, political, and philosophical inequities that have long gone unaddressed. The situation is only stirring and growing more turbulent with every passing day, into a possible worldwide cultural revolution. Meanwhile, darker forces lurking in the shadows of society, in the depths of lands lost to history, and destructive powers of the supernatural and unknown grow in power once more, waiting to revive a timeless cycle of destruction and conflict.

The first title focuses on Junaxana Badami, a happy go lucky and bubbly Poen from the nation of Fortuna, a star athlete of the Exsulta games (Neirrapolis' Olympics, and an outspoken critic toward its notoriously (but largely ignored), unfair practices, and world cultural issues. Her career is ruined when she's shown supporting a protest group “known” for its extremist behavior. Now unable to make a living, she devotes her full attention to fighting these injustices and achieving her lifelong dreams she once put away, but the events that stir in the world will eventually impact all she holds dear, force her to fight back and have her rise to action with many others in the world, just like history before has shown...

Honest Statement

Highly considered for this job are talented hired hands and willing associates, as this is one undertaking that cannot be done alone. This story requires an attention to detail, and great deal of imagination and brainstorming, as well as motivation and love to properly execute.
If you are interested and are fit and able for the job, I assure you that you will receive compensation and rewards for your efforts and talents. But I will hide no hidden strings; as this is a venture of entertainment, this is a gamble in itself, and I do not accept the fickle, the cynical, the deceiving, the easily agitated, the cowardly, the arrogant, the naive, or the lazy. I only expect the best out of my clients, and they must be willing, able, courageous, accepting, adaptable, keen and devoted to this venture. Payment will be distributed in residuals and will be based on how well the game sells.

Applicants for our video game:

*Must be nearing graduation of/ have graduated High School (Negotiable)
*Must have a portfolio and exhibition of work
*Talents must have been cultivated for a reasonable amount of years. Integrity and proficiency is highly expected.
*Must list current situation
*Must be willing to cooperate and conduct under a team and leader, ie show teamwork and enthusiasm, as well as loyalty, the ability to carry out orders and trustworthiness, and show qualities mentioned in the statement above

2D Sprite Artist Requirements:
A Background in Anime/Manga and Realistic styles.
Must have a design and taste sense.
Must be able to capture the essence of a specific style, setting, and atmosphere of mood.
Must have a good eye for perspective and view.
Must be well versed in sprite creation and methods.

You can contact me at [email protected] or send me a PM regarding your entry and if you're interested! Thanks for your time and see you around! ^^
This is technically a request, one of which appears to ask for payment after game completion.

Though this guy actually appears to be on top of his game.
(07-19-2011, 03:44 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]This is technically a request, one of which appears to ask for payment after game completion.

Though this guy actually appears to be on top of his game.
How exactly is this a request? He's proving to actually be doing work, he has a lot to show in the design department, he's given a good amount of detail about the project and he's even offering payment.

This is a quality topic. I'm personally not interested in working on it but I wish you luck with this. A good sense of quality control is always a good thing to have and you got this covered it seems!
i've learned in all these years that "share of the profits" and "payment after being sold to X company" never work.

it takes nothing to kill one man's enthusiams and with it, a whole project finally crumbles as its progress its only supported by the motivation of said person.

however, if you do have such determination, i do not see what stops you to gatehr a considerable budget and then start thinking about hiring people to work on your project. if you lack said talents, its the wya to show people you are serious enough about the completion of it, not to mention its the only way you can actually demand work and results from your employees/team mates.

as much as one gambles with joining for "rewards after being published", anyone worth its cents realises that said gambling leaves you with nothing to lose, and with us with time wasted if things go to hell.
(07-19-2011, 08:51 PM)CO2 Wrote: [ -> ]as much as one gambles with joining for "rewards after being published", anyone worth its cents realises that said gambling leaves you with nothing to lose, and with us with time wasted if things go to hell.

Okay Snake Pilskin, then how did Mario Brothers or Final Fantasy start? How does all of entertainment start? As a gamble. Of course, you work, study, plan, create, and research things in order to even the odds, to make sure all things work and are good, but you are still working on a gamble.

I don't like getting in your face, but this is a game I've been working on and researching its very organs to optimal and high caliber conditions since I was in sophmore year of High School.

If I wasn't a broke bum sitting in his parent's basement, and likely a rich millionare, then I would be able to provide payment. But life's a bitch, and I'm dealing with it.

And yeah, I'm an unknown guy. I'm not popular, I'm not known anywhere in the internet, but there's things I want to do, and I am going to do it. I'm going to do anything in my power to make the greatest game that I can make, provide my team members with compensation and rewards for their hard earned efforts and I'm not going to have some cheese dick loser rag me out like I'm a damned con artist.

If you have nothing else to say that is positive or helpful, get out and ban yourself. You make me sick.
...Welp.
i'd make an even more elaborated wall of text explaining this, but i think you pretty much answered all our questions about how serious is this project and how seriously we should take you.

dear distinguished gentleman, you are most certainly not going to fix your "personal" life issues by developing a game. much less developing another raganrok ofline clone.

if it takes this to completely flip you out of your mind, then i can already tell that you would make one hell of a director. the kind that goes incredibly mad if any team member thinks diferent from your "personal view".
(07-20-2011, 01:54 AM)CO2 Wrote: [ -> ]if it takes this to completely flip you out of your mind, then i can already tell that you would make one hell of a director. the kind that goes incredibly mad if any team member thinks diferent from your "personal view".

Hahaha. Cute Push back? You started it ;3
I've been reading through this, and it's all very good, but: you're asking for a lot.
You're asking for a lot when you don't have much to offer.
Do you have a background in game making and contributing in game releases, especially commercial ones? If so, point them out.
Your reputation and notoriety can help you in finding a team. Through reputation, you build up a network of contacts and you can fall back on that.
If you could provide anything more substantial, it could also help maximize your chances in building a team.

I think what you're forgetting here is that this is an exchange, and as such when you're asking to recruit some staff, the potential staff have a right to know the level of competence and experience you have, and would preferably like to see a portfolio from you.

You have to remember that as a recruiter you also have to sell yourself and what you've already got; I'm going to be honest with you and say that the way you've presented this project is rather bland: there's nothing that catches my eye or that interests me, apart from the story. I'm inviting you to relate the game's story to its gameplay, to the character classes, and to both of their designs. I don't think everybody has the patience to read the story, so making a summary of the races you created and their abilities in a separate section to the story would help, and it should in fact come first. If you expand on what we're basically going to sprite, you'll increase our interest in doing these for you.
Being a bit more precise on the gameplay could also arouse interest, because once again, it strikes me as bland.

My suggestion is that you start working on less grand scale projects, and start filling your background up in this area. I find it hard to believe that you've only got this much if you've been thinking about this game for several years... In the meantime, you can add more elements, ideas and developments to this game. By the time you feel ready, you'll be able to present, and hopefully, start this project even more effectively.

Also, don't whine please. You're really not giving a good impression of yourself right now.
in the indie community, if you have a solid start, its not hard to get a boost so you can pay for employees. websites like kickstarter can help out a lot, and will help to show you how many people would be interested in your game. once you've gone that far though, there's no backing out. if you just take people's money that they gave to you because they wanted to see a finished product, nobody will ever take a project of yours seriously again
If I post the vital aspects of gameplay in order to be more specific, and what I feel is necessary, it won't get stolen or majorly ripped off, right?

Because I'm not too fond of this, unless it is really necessary, or if there is a guarantee to the best of what people can promise.
then dont do it, and leave the details only to those who get interested and share it with them thru emails.

nothing can guarantee you here that someone might "stole" your idea.
Bleh, thought the title said "SoulFACE" xD
(07-31-2011, 08:13 PM)SoulFace Wrote: [ -> ]Bleh, thought the title said "SoulFACE" xD

thanked so I could unthank