The VG Resource

Full Version: Youkai Douchuuki--One game that is often overlooked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone seen or played Youkai Douchuuki?
[Known as "Shadow Land" outside Japan]

I think that's one game that's often overlooked in gaming circles. And to an extent, I don't blame them. I mean, even without the Buddhist or otherwise religious overtones, it's probably too weird for audiences outside the Land of the Rising Sun.

But I still think it's worth discussing. Anyone want to share their feelings about that game, again assuming anyone's played it or seen people play it?
Hi, let's make a thread about intentionally obscure Japanese bullshit; highlight how obscure it is; and then not actually talk about the game at all! That way only I can discuss how much this game is obscure Japanese bullshit!

Good show.
(07-14-2011, 03:02 AM)GrooveMan.exe Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, let's make a thread about intentionally obscure Japanese bullshit; highlight how obscure it is; and then not actually talk about the game at all! That way only I can discuss how much this game is obscure Japanese bullshit!

Good show.

oh boy watch me beat my chest because i can't look anything up or ask questions.

lets roar some more!

screw any form of discussion groove can't do that at all!

Now, that we have that cleared up.

I'm on the level of asking what this is exactly? I can look it up of course, but id rather know some things about it too.

Edit: looks like a beat'm up from what im seeing. Interesting.

okay more LOOKING UP and its a platformer. of sorts. idk anymore
Quote:Hi, let's make a thread about intentionally obscure Japanese bullshit; highlight how obscure it is; and then not actually talk about the game at all! That way only I can discuss how much this game is obscure Japanese bullshit!

Good show.

lets also reply extremely sarcastically instead of maybe asking what its about or googling it to see what you think (not that this is necessarily a 'good' topic but i don't know if being a dick serves any purpose other than thank whoring (which clearly worked))

idk man this dude probably just played the game and wanted to see if anybody else here did, just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean you have to be so.. mean, i guess. like i said you could just ask him what it is or google it, at least try to salvage the topic instead of being really sarcastic and making the topic even worse (and i apologize if i sound like an asshole calling you out on this, but i dunno it kind of bothered me)

I must admit though, the video I looked up looked pretty unusual, I couldn't really tell what was going on other than basic platforming and some weird other stuff. Could you maybe explain what it's about a bit more?
[Image: Yokai_douchuuki_arcadeflyer.png]

Quote:Shadow Land, known in Japan as Yōkai Dōchūki (妖怪道中記, lit. "Phantom Travel Journal"?), is an arcade game that was released by Namco in 1987. It runs on Namco System 1 hardware. This game was not released in the United States, likely because of its questionable (by U.S. standards) content. However, an English-language version of the game, titled Shadowland, exists.

The player controls a boy named Tarosuke who travels through "Jigoku" (the Japanese concept of Hell) fighting "yokai" (mythical Japanese monsters) on his way to his final fate, as determined by Buddha. He destroys his enemies by firing small Ki bullets, which can be charged to increase their power, though if overcharged, he is left unable to move or fight for a few seconds. During boss battles, Tarosuke kneels at a shrine to Buddha and prays, summoning "Monmotaro" (not to be confused with "Momotarō") a spirit which floats in the air and drops energy balls on the boss and any lackeys he has.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youkai_Douchuuki

Screenshots:
[Image: Youkai+Douchuuki+(J)-013.png] [Image: Youkai%20Douchuuki-2.png] [Image: 1181242188167.png] [Image: 1181242188165.png]

Does this make up for the shitty first post and following BITCH POSTS?
That game doesn't look bad.

The gameplay looks kinda cookie cutter. What's weird is that when I look at it I think of a mixture of three things: Pocky and Rocky, Toki, and the first Splatterhouse (appropriate considering Namco owned both).

Jesus christ, you're a bunch of whiny babies sometimes. Chill out.
Because the first and best response to a bad post is to make another.
why does everyone think there's something wrong with this topic

it doesn't encourage THAT much discussion, but the guy just wanted to see if anybody else had played it and maybe talk about it a bit

not every topic on the forum has to be fuckin incredible, bitching about it did nothing productive

unfortunately now the topic's essentially dead unless it gets cleaned. i apologize if i sounded kind of like a dick, i didn't want to start anything. i just don't see why this is such a bad topic that it warrants being a sarcastic jerk
It is aggravating how snobby some members are about posts and topics. Looking things they don't deem worthy of discussing.

Anyway I think what's best is that we have a Obscure Games discussion.
so... am i the only one here who noticed that the op has a pattern of making a terrible thread, never posting in it again, leaving for a week, then making another one?

because this isnt the first time that this has happened
i'm personally on grooveman's side with this one
Ah well, didn't know that. Still are these "terrible" posts? What defines "terrible" anyway?

But yeah we should definitely have an Obscure Games topic.
but this isn't a terrible thread

it's not a great thread, but it's not terrible

in fact it wasn't terrible until grooveman called out the OP, once that happened it completely lost any chance of having discussion value

at the very least you could've just asked what the game was, googled it and talked about it, or maybe brought up other 'obscure' games that people might not know about, ANYTHING would be better than just calling this dude out (which, if you had to do it, could've been done in a PM so that the topic didn't inevitably turn into complete trash)

maybe i'm overreacting i don't know, i just get kind of annoyed by really obnoxious posts, i shouldn't have said anything, sorry
He mentioned NOTHING about the game other than Buddhist overtones and it being obscure. Also, telling me how obscure it is doesn't make me want to go look it up, he could have easily did a quick summary of the game and posted shit like Shawn did. While Grooves response was a tad over the board, I still agree with him. That being said, I do not think I'd like that game.
God, all of you shut the fuck up, christ. Constantly calling other people whiny babies makes you all look like whiny babies in response. You're really not helping this thread going anywhere (provided it barely has a place to go anywhere from the start.)

Besides that, making a thread with absolutely no content is the most infuriating fucking thing a topic creator can do on a message board and has been the subject of many useless threads being closed-- this isn't the first time it's happened, and it isn't the last, and Grooveman actually taking action in this sort of baseless thread making is not only expected, but it's also the more proper thing to do, especially on a board as active as this one.

TL;DR literally every single one of you needs to wipe the god damn sand out of your vagina and chill the fuck out.

I personally see no fathomable reason for this thread to be open any longer except for further poop-throwing at other members.

(07-15-2011, 11:00 PM)Koopaul Wrote: [ -> ]But yeah we should definitely have an Obscure Games topic.

This, and Shawn's post, is the only effective and overall helpful post in this thread.
Pages: 1 2