The VG Resource

Full Version: Fixing up the site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is under news and not the updating of tSR because I've been planning to do this for a while now before Dazz even mentioned making tSR better.

Anyway I'm cleaning up all the icon images on the site. Meaning when I'm through with it, all the icons will be the correct color, have the correct font, Have the correct eveything.

I'd like to ask the submitters to make the icons correctly. Can't find the right font? Verdana size 7. Can't make it non-AA'd? Ask someone to do it for you over PM. I'd be more then happy to. Imageshack messing up the colors? Send it through photobucket. The color of the font? Tis a light gray not white. Same color as the corner of the icon.

Also to the site updaters I'd like to ask you to not put any icon up on the site if it is messed up or at least fix it before putting it up. With the 20+ icons in the first 3 Mario sections alone that I have fix kind of troubles me.

Thanks everyone~
I doubt I'll be submitting anything anytime soon, but if I do, I'll keep it in mind.
My question is why no one has ripped a size 7 non-AA Verdana size 7 for everyone to use.

Or made a image kit for it, or something.

Just a thought.
... because most computers either have it preinstalled or can get it with relative ease over the internet.

Just for clarification, you don't rip actual (read: not in-game) fonts. You just DL the file and place it in the 'Fonts' folder (on a Windows OS). Real fonts are inherently multi-sized/vector/scale-able (unless bitmap-styled, but that's too much detail for one post), so ripping it is impossible.
(08-12-2008, 01:33 AM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]... because most computers either have it preinstalled or can get it with relative ease over the internet.

Yet most computers with mspaint AA the font when it is typed, when a graphics version would clear that up.

(08-12-2008, 01:33 AM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]so ripping it is impossible.
Rolleyes

Someone types up:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
1234567890-=
!@#$%^&*()_+
<>?,./More Sweatdrops:"[]{}\|
... etc
With a microsoft paint version that does not AA, in size 7 on a plain one color background. Easy for use in icon making.

Understand what I mean now? Cute
They can open notepad, type the text in said program in Verdana s7, press "print screen," and paste that in paint to use. It's not that hard to do or figure out.

There's still the issue of proper kerning, so ripping (though maybe not impossible) is impractial.
(08-12-2008, 03:07 PM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]They can open notepad, type the text in said program in Verdana s7, press "print screen," and paste that in paint to use. It's not that hard to do or figure out.
[Image: woopsmk1.png]
Woops, maybe you want to try another idea? Cute

(08-12-2008, 03:07 PM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]There's still the issue of proper kerning, so ripping (though maybe not impossible) is impractical.

That would be a tiny bit difficult, but using the lovely note idea you pointed out, you could compare the fonts kerning (Spacing), by using the base of the AA font. IT could be done in mspaint also. Smile
(08-12-2008, 02:52 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-12-2008, 01:33 AM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]... because most computers either have it preinstalled or can get it with relative ease over the internet.

Yet most computers with mspaint AA the font when it is typed, when a graphics version would clear that up.

(08-12-2008, 01:33 AM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]so ripping it is impossible.
Rolleyes

Someone types up:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
1234567890-=
!@#$%^&*()_+
<>?,./More Sweatdrops:"[]{}\|
... etc
With a microsoft paint version that does not AA, in size 7 on a plain one color background. Easy for use in icon making.

Understand what I mean now? Cute

Actually I've only noticed that the new MSPaint that comes with Vista AA's the font.

Solution:
1. Download old MSPaint off the internet
2. If you have Graphics Gale, Gimp, or Photoshop I'm sure that they can make the font be not AA'd
3. Ask me or someone else to put the font in for you.
VERRRRRRRY Simple
I didn't expect that you were using Vista, and shouldn't there be a way to turn that off? XP's (and previous versions) Paint and Notepad don't AA. Sorry, I can't help you there.

Like Lunyka said, try Gimp or GraphicsGale.
There isn't. My boyfriend's laptop has vista and it AA's text that shouldn't AA in paint and I tore it apart and still there is no shut off option for it :/
I am using Windows XP service Pack 3.

And I was not concerned about myself personally, I was trying to think of an idea that would be useful for other members.

Meh.
You should be concerned about it if you are ripping sprites >Sad

Also it would be easier to type it then dragging letters around.
XP SP 2 and 3 also anti-aliases fonts in many applications (including MSPaint). You can turn it off though.

1) Right click the desktop to bring up the desktop's context menu.
2) Properties > Appearance > Effects
3) Untick the box with Standard/ClearType drop-down options.
4) Click OK to close the Effects window.
5) Click Apply on the Properties window.
Really? Then I must have XP SP 1 because my font never AA'd itself if it doesn't normally.
Old computer is old.
I too must have done that long ago, because I'm running SP3 and there is no AA-ing.
Pages: 1 2