The VG Resource

Full Version: Is Silent Hill Homecoming buggy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought the game cause my niece forced me to buy a horror game. I tried it just a few minutes and I think I somehow messed up the control configuration. When I went to the control keypad it got stuck there. Now to prevent that from happening I have to reset the control configuration to default everytime. And there was this part I was unlocking a door. When I opened the door the main character was floating and I couldn't move and I had to reset.

Are there anymore bugs from this game?
Oh god, Homecoming, I'm sorry to tell you but it's a terrible port, it's buggy and glitchy and poorly optimized.
There are probably some fan patches to fix up some of the porting issues, like unsupported resolutions and generic engine bugs, shame they can't patch it to be a better game though.

The problem is that the port for the game was basically a rushed money grab before it went out of date, diehard fans of the series had slated it for being too far detached from the original formula, and being too "Americanized", and of course, for not actually being scary.
You should always be wary of PC ports for console games that didn't market well, they tend to be very badly done and only released because the console version didn't make enough revenue.

If you're looking for a decent horror game, my recommendation would be Silent Hill 2 on the PS2, you can probably find it for pocket change these days and, in my opinion at least, it's one of the best horror games around, and it's actually aged surprisingly well.
(SH3 was also pretty good in my opinion, even if there were a few quirks and changes that felt a little rushed and not properly developed.)
If you're looking for something a bit more action orientated, which the early Silent Hill games definitely were not, you might like Eternal Darkness, Sanity's Requiem (on the Gamecube) does a good job of really messing with the player directly, without breaking the third wall or compromising the narrative too much.
(06-28-2011, 01:00 AM)PatientZero Wrote: [ -> ]Oh god, Homecoming, I'm sorry to tell you but it's a terrible port, it's buggy and glitchy and poorly optimized.

The problem is that the port for the game was basically a rushed money grab before it went out of date, diehard fans of the series had slated it for being too far detached from the original formula, and being too "Americanized", and of course, for not actually being scary.
You should always be wary of PC ports for console games that didn't market well, they tend to be very badly done and only released because the console version didn't make enough revenue.

I got the ps3 version. It is scary but I've only played like 2 hours. But I'm hoping this doesn't end up like SH4. That one was a big disappointment. It was scary at first then it got frustrating.

(06-28-2011, 01:00 AM)PatientZero Wrote: [ -> ]If you're looking for a decent horror game, my recommendation would be Silent Hill 2 on the PS2, you can probably find it for pocket change these days and, in my opinion at least, it's one of the best horror games around, and it's actually aged surprisingly well.

It's not easy finding that game.

(06-28-2011, 01:00 AM)PatientZero Wrote: [ -> ](SH3 was also pretty good in my opinion, even if there were a few quirks and changes that felt a little rushed and not properly developed.)
If you're looking for something a bit more action orientated, which the early Silent Hill games definitely were not, you might like Eternal Darkness, Sanity's Requiem (on the Gamecube) does a good job of really messing with the player directly, without breaking the third wall or compromising the narrative too much.

I didn't like SH3. The story was just so predictable. I haven't even finish SH zero. Don't know anything about those 2 games. Too bad I don't have a gamecube. So far I've tried Siren and Fatal Frame. Haunting Ground was a waste of time.