The VG Resource

Full Version: Another Sprite Workshop.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: ao03uo.png]

Basically, what I have currently. The three rips there (the ones that don't happen to be Rockman, a Met, and the unfinished Velociraptor) are happen to be for style refrence, plus peices of BG from the same origin as the refrence sprites.
Huh, Mega Man in Monster Tale style! Should be cool to see, I think I'll keep up with this thread.
That velociraptor is ultra cool. Mega Man, though, has way too many shades. You could definitely cut down the color count and increase the contrast. It looks kind of pillowy, too, I have no idea what your light source is supposed to be doing. Try to look at how clean your references do their shading instead of trying to think of how mega man games shade him and trying to condense that. His limbs look pretty awkward, too. Umm, more specifically I guess I'd say his left arm isn't really readable and could be shaped with more elbow and hand distinction. I don't really like how his right shoulder connects to his arm, and his right leg is looking kind of squished. All these lefts and rights are from his perspective

edit: okay it's kind of late and I can't really even see what I'm doing anymore but I gave it a try

[Image: yfbCB.png]

There's stuff I should've fixed better, like his legs, but I can't spend more time on it. I'm not familiar with the style so I probably didn't really conform to it but I hope it gives you ideas anyway.
these look great, i especially like the raptor!
i think the teeth on the other side of the lower jaw could be more readable, because for now it's a white block of pixels.
i think these pictures could help you for shaping the raptor's head and body.
anyway, i'm looking forward to more!
(06-20-2011, 12:14 AM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]That velociraptor is ultra cool. Mega Man, though, has way too many shades. You could definitely cut down the color count and increase the contrast. It looks kind of pillowy, too, I have no idea what your light source is supposed to be doing. Try to look at how clean your references do their shading instead of trying to think of how mega man games shade him and trying to condense that. His limbs look pretty awkward, too. Umm, more specifically I guess I'd say his left arm isn't really readable and could be shaped with more elbow and hand distinction. I don't really like how his right shoulder connects to his arm, and his right leg is looking kind of squished. All these lefts and rights are from his perspective

edit: okay it's kind of late and I can't really even see what I'm doing anymore but I gave it a try

[Image: yfbCB.png]

There's stuff I should've fixed better, like his legs, but I can't spend more time on it. I'm not familiar with the style so I probably didn't really conform to it but I hope it gives you ideas anyway.

Trying to capture a style is no easy task, and I was using this character as a "shadow guide" but I guess I got a little carried away.. as usual. But as a drill sgt. once said:

"I want progress, not excuses!"

(06-20-2011, 02:13 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: [ -> ]these look great, i especially like the raptor!
i think the teeth on the other side of the lower jaw could be more readable, because for now it's a white block of pixels.
i think these pictures could help you for shaping the raptor's head and body.
anyway, i'm looking forward to more!

Do you have a cutaway reference for the raptor? (raptor minus front leg, to see what their body looks like without anything obscuring it) That would be most definately helpful here. For now it looks slightly Namco X Capcom-ish because of that I wanted a cartoonish raptor to fit with the game's style, which is (I guess) tricky to do.

If you got tips to find good spots for dithering, let me know!

Quick Edit:

[Image: zno5dw.png]

Did some major adjustments thanks to outlining the main torso, so far I need to adjust the face so it's more "raptor-like", and legthen the tail (unless everyone's okay with the current tail size). Meanwhile, I am performing the style overview with the only six humans present throughout the game they origionated from, along with Starsock's edit to see where I goof'd to avoid such instances in the future. Also spritesheet of Megaman, feel free to harp on the current errors until I figure this out with the raptor..