The VG Resource

Full Version: The Best?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I currently use 3ds max 2009, but I wanted to know if there is anything better than it? Because I hear about milkshake, maya, 3d weaver( i think)
Maya and 3DSMax seem to be the top contenders, but it really just depends on your preferences. Google Sketchup could be the one for you.
Google sketchup looks really good thanks!
Google Sketchup is

um

an architecture program

a free architecture program

that is really bad at modelling

like, it is a really bad idea to do serious modelling with it, especially since you can't do anything else with it.

You want a good 3D program, and you want it free? Get Blender. It's a pretty nifty modelling program, and - again - it's free, so you don't have much to lose when you get it.

I haven't really had experience with 3Ds max or whatever it is, but still: Blender's good.
If you're already using 3dsmax, which is industry standard, why switch?

But for the best free 3d software, I believe it's Blender.
I'll just quote my explanation on why I think Blender is the best:

Pretty much what everyone else said. Just switching off of one thing isn't going to immediately make you better at another though. There's going to be a large learning curve with this stuff no matter what software you're using.
If you want a free and powerful one Blender is the best. But be warned... it will scare you at first... until you get used to it.
I've tried Blender before but it confused me, I guess I'll try it again!
Additionally, if you want to make 3D animations, I tend to use Cinema 4D.

For modeling though I have to agree on 3DS Max. It has a few features that other programs do not have, and the interfaces on other programs confuse and agitate me.