The VG Resource

Full Version: Custom Avatar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
haven't been here for a while, and just decided to kick off my return with a custom sprite avatar I decided to make. yeah, the Duck with a tophat, monocle, cane, and cape was pretty cool, but I wanted to try and make a custom sprite on my own.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x98/D...ample1.png

this is my first custom sprite, the one on the left is the custom, and the one on the right is the sprite I used, some constructive critism and tips would be much apreciated
They seem good, but the image is a JPG... Unsure
I saved it on my computer as a 24 bitmap....
(08-10-2008, 03:43 PM)Sho_"Rocker"_Daisuke Wrote: [ -> ]I saved it on my computer as a 24 bitmap....

Yeah, uh, .bmp isn't a good filetype, it takes up way too much space. Use .png instead.
(08-10-2008, 04:33 PM)Sonikku Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2008, 03:43 PM)Sho_"Rocker"_Daisuke Wrote: [ -> ]I saved it on my computer as a 24 bitmap....

Yeah, uh, .bmp isn't a good filetype, it takes up way too much space. Use .png instead.

alright... now about the avatar
the shoes are badly shaped. And his legs look humongously long. And his hand looks too big. Unless I'm deformed and my closed hand is smaller than my face...

I can't critique the colors since they're blurry and JPG'd.
Or save it as a TIF/tiff something lie that file name. It'll take up less space than a bmp, more than a png though. Thier will be no color darkening though, when uploaded to www.imageshack.us

Also, thats not custom, thats edited.
I like it ^^
It seems very original to me besides it's supposed to look the way YOU want it.
(08-10-2008, 05:14 PM)Ahruon the archer Wrote: [ -> ]I like it ^^
It seems very original to me besides it's supposed to look the way YOU want it.

The way YOU want it isnt always the best way.
That like saying a sprite could be a piece of crap, but its ok not to take crit, or fix it, becuase its the way YOU want it.

:/
The head is pretty small.
as much as I apreciate the critism on how the proportions are "off", it's the style of the sprite used, I didn't make the original sprite, I edited it, I want critism on how the pants, shirts, hair, shading, and all that other stuff
Asuuming his pants are supposed to be somewhat loose around the legs, the leftmost side of the leftmost leg is a straight line.

Is the jacket supposed to be that short?

The shoes need some work.
(08-10-2008, 09:39 PM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]Asuuming his pants are supposed to be somewhat loose around the legs, the leftmost side of the leftmost leg is a straight line.

Is the jacket supposed to be that short?

The shoes need some work.

yeah, I noticed I might need to smoothen up the legs/pants a bit, mainly because they were completely custom

yes, it's supossed to be that short

I'm not surprised, I'm going to need examples of some shoes (that aren't on any Sonic character) to do these better, most prefered on a sprite

btw, if anybody would like to edit this or anything to show me, I'd be alright with that
Given the size of the shoe, pixel art or fighting game character sprites would be your best references.
edited: changed some of the shading, changed shoes, smoothened lines on left leg better, changed file type from bmp to png

now anything else for help? color scheme, shading, deatils, etc.?
Pages: 1 2