The VG Resource

Full Version: A gorilla with human features.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Exactly as the subject says, a gorilla with human features. I'm not sure how to shade the arm and legs. I want to stress that the human like features (such as the nostrils and visible collar bone) are intentional, if need be though, I'll get rid of them.

[Image: gorrilaisuppose.png]

C+C is appreciated.
emphasize on the nose/nostrils and the collar bone, i can barely notice them. the eye looks quite far down and not seated into his brow.
think about where the light is coming from. which parts get hit first?
the joints (more specifically the kneecaps) get hit first because they stick out and are a corner/ side, in fact.
the knuckles get hit first because they stick out.
try and see what else you can observe in reality that you can apply here.
Well, first, you could turn on the light, then you have to decide if it is going to be standing or sitting, and if that's the arm size the legs have to be bigger, by the color I can say it's a statue, right?

I think it has to have double size, if it will have human features, and if it is going to be standing, I guess,

And everything Chris said, work on it, I think in Spriting the hardest thing is Anatomy, well, for me it is,

It looks good and will look better with some Tweaks, but will you leave it with low contrast?
[Image: gorrilaisuppose.png]

It took me a while, because I had other things I needed to do. I hope I did all things suggested. I'm aware the legs and feet are shit some critique would be lovely for those Smile

also isael, I'm quite happy with the colours and contrast level, but if it's suggested to change it then I shall. He's sitting, and it's a living organism not a statue. Think of it as the missing link between apes and humans, if it helps Smile

More C+C would be smashing, chaps.
gorillas have black skin
and its bald so it wouldn't have all the dithering
and a good artist would have listened to the critique you were just given so it wouldn't look like what yours does right now
[Image: gorrilaisuppose2.png]

Alternate palette. He was supposed to be hairy, I'm shit at textures though, could anyone give me advice on or link me to a good tutorial for hair/fur textures?

Also, hey 1up, hows things?
right now your problems are uh

well a texture problem is the least of them
the anatomy on this is atrocious and it doesn't look "human" at all
(06-13-2011, 05:59 PM)Chris2Balls [:B] Wrote: [ -> ]emphasize on the nose/nostrils and the collar bone, i can barely notice them. the eye looks quite far down and not seated into his brow.
think about where the light is coming from. which parts get hit first?
the joints (more specifically the kneecaps) get hit first because they stick out and are a corner/ side, in fact.
the knuckles get hit first because they stick out.
try and see what else you can observe in reality that you can apply here.

(06-17-2011, 06:30 PM)another coyote not that one Wrote: [ -> ]right now your problems are uh

well a texture problem is the least of them
the anatomy on this is atrocious and it doesn't look "human" at all

i'd just like to point out; one of these is an example of good, strong criticism that actually lays out defining areas someone can pay attention to and improve on regarding artistic ability, the other is entirely vague in its criticisms and serves a point only to seemingly be offensive and let someone know about the '''' quallity '' ' '" '""" of their work
i am not trying to 'hharshh' your 'mallow' you're a good pixelartist, but there are ways you could be helping the newbies a lot better
Okay, well I looked at some references, and I tried to improve the upper body anatomy I'll fix the legs once the upper half is done.

[Image: gorrilaisuppose3.png]

Also, had a bash at texturing fur, does it work in the slightest?

[Image: gorrilaisuppose4.png]

If I'm still wrong on the anatomy can you point me in the right direction and tell me what parts are atrocious, or is it just everything is wrong and I should start over?
short version: don't shove your nose up everyone's ass

since it's supposed to be a gorilla make it identifiable as a gorilla, look at some gorillas for refrence THEN add the humaness
nah, it still doesn't look like 'fur' it's too smooth.
though, you may want to ask yourself what level of realism you're going for here
[Image: colossal_katamari.png]

this is a pretty decent example of realistically textured fur/hair/grass it not only breaks up the silhouette slightly, but the light plays off of the individual clumps, giving it a layered, patterned look.
(06-17-2011, 06:38 PM)MRSKELETON Wrote: [ -> ]i'd just like to point out; one of these is an example of good, strong criticism that actually lays out defining areas someone can pay attention to and improve on regarding artistic ability, the other is entirely vague in its criticisms and serves a point only to seemingly be offensive and let someone know about the '''' quallity '' ' '" '""" of their work
i am not trying to 'hharshh' your 'mallow' you're a good pixelartist, but there are ways you could be helping the newbies a lot better
hi i dont feel like explaining why i act like this around people here and derailing this thread so if you legitimately think i do this purely to be an asshole(hi tyvon) send me a pm and i'll explain it there
i'm not gonna derail a thread over this but i would like to point out that in this case even if i was just doing this to be an asshole, this guy has blatantly stolen art for years and tried to pass it off as his own
i would be completely justified
but that's not why i'm doing it
so i'm still justified in acting this way
and you're an idiot for assuming that after all of these years i continue to act this way purely for the sake of acting this way
(06-17-2011, 08:31 PM)another coyote not that one Wrote: [ -> ]hi i dont feel like explaining why i act like this around people here and derailing this thread so if you legitimately think i do this purely to be an asshole(hi tyvon)
K, see, I don't think you're being an asshole by critiquing-- however, I think you're being a huge fucking asshole for calling me out on something I don't even think. I don't give a shit what your reasoning is when you decide to put me on blast (in a thread that has nothing to do with me) for something that you think I think.

So, with that, I cordially request you stop that.

Thanks.
(06-17-2011, 08:31 PM)another coyote not that one Wrote: [ -> ]but i would like to point out that in this case even if i was just doing this to be an asshole, this guy has blatantly stolen art for years and tried to pass it off as his own
i would be completely justified

I would like to know when I've stolen art, ever.

[mod] i think he's talking about mrskeleton
Pages: 1 2