The VG Resource

Full Version: "Are you still there?"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm surprised I haven't seen any custom sprites for the Portal series here. We'll have to do something about that, now won't we? I'll start us off:

[Image: portal-sentryturret.png?t=1307900031]

I'm told before I submit these I should get the public to critique my sprites. Tell me if there's anything wrong and I'll get right to it.
Well, for one, you'll want to use the image tags correctly.

In other words, you don't put the page the image is on in the tags, but rather, you put the image's actual address there (you can get that in Firefox by right-clicking then selecting "Copy Image Location").
(06-12-2011, 01:12 PM)Sploder Wrote: [ -> ]In other words, you don't put the page the image is on in the tags, but rather, you put the image's actual address there (you can get that in Firefox by right-clicking then selecting "Copy Image Location")

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Anything else?
yep, remove anything thats not a sprite from that. and also the idea that, as this is now, there is anything worth on it to be submitted.
(06-12-2011, 03:08 PM)Fuchikoma Wrote: [ -> ]yep, remove anything thats not a sprite from that. and also the idea that, as this is now, there is anything worth on it to be submitted.

Well, okay then. Guess I'll just have to do it over.

[Image: portal-sentryturret.png]

There we go. It's a little bigger than the old one and I added some finer details including the box. I hope everything here is at least satisfactory.
Avoid using black, especially on the inside of a sprite - it kind of eats the whole sprite up. The turret is kinda deformed, too - they should be tall and slender, while yours is short and fat. Some kind of simple shading on it would be nice too.

A good reference pic for Portal turrets:
[Image: PT_Sketch.jpg]

By the way, don't take this as a personal attack or an insult or whatever. It's just to help you~
Don't use black outlines, don't use the black color as Alex said,
Try to make the lines a little more circular, you could use another color,
Like a gray, and give it some shadows if you can.