The VG Resource

Full Version: Ripping a palette-shifting sprite (Castlevania: CotM)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(The forum organization here, honestly, kind of confuses me. Apologies in advance if I've made any mistakes)

I've noticed that I cannot find any rips of Nathan's animations while in DSS mode - I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that he's constantly palette-shifting during, and over 128 frame long cycle.

Thus, I would like to rip them myself, as I intend to use them for a project.

Does anyone know of any way to either freeze the palette, so it stops cycling, or else if the OAM Viewer (or anything similar) can be told to export paletted images (so that I can just unpalette shift)?
Or am I just going to have to suck it up and deal with a bit of tedium?
Simple: Get one palette and set that as the norm, then recolor the other sprites using the initial palette. Then post the alternate Palettes on the sheet in the order that they flow.

To recolor, Use the paint dropper tool; then set the color you wish to replace by right clicking it (Background Color), then left click the color you want to cover (Foreground Color). After which, then use the eraser function and hold right click while scrolling over the sprite. Only the Foreground Color will be affected. But you will have to make the Background Color white again before moving it.

Either that or use Photoshop/Gimp

It's often used as a technique when ripping fighting game characters; getting Player 2's Palette and so forth
Quote:Simple: Get one palette and set that as the norm, then recolor the other sprites using the initial palette.
Simple, but many times more tedious than this has to be. My patience drops like a fly when I can see what should be a much easier solution blocked by what seems a small detail (like VBA not exporting paletted images).
Instead, I've found the RAM address that determines which palette Nathan is drawn with, and can change that to a palette I've edited to be identical to the default palette. It reverts on its own, and this address stores several data in one byte, so freezing it with a cheatcode produces undesired results, so I have to do this every frame, but it only takes a couple minutes to write a macro script to do that for me anyways, making it only just slightly more work than if the palette issue didn't exist to begin with.