The VG Resource

Full Version: Bass X Sprite thread - Neo Geo Pocket Style
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yo.

It's been some time since I posted sprite work publicly, so I'll give it a go here.

I sprite in the Neo Geo Pocket style. This style was used by SNK for their Neo Geo Pocket handheld. I mainly scratch my work.

For my first batch:
[Image: scorpneogeo.png]
Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.
Well it's your first time here so, I'll be the first to say welcome!

Your sprites look pretty good, but since I'm not too familiar with Neo Geo, I'll try my best.

Well, his left foot looks very strange. His hands do too. Other crits like size, and pallets would work, but once again, don't know much about neo geo.
I suppose the left foot could use more roundness at the top. Hands are tricky in this style, but I'll tweak them up abit.
Here's another: [Image: smokeneogeo.png]

Smoke from Mortal Kombat
you claim these sprites are done in the ngpc's "style"

yet since when did they use more than 3 colors.
(05-31-2011, 11:42 PM)Fuchikoma Wrote: [ -> ]you claim these sprites are done in the ngpc's "style"

You guys here sure have a way of greeting new people.

The overall shape is to the ngp's type. Color was added because color is awesome.

Just because it's not the "exact style" doesn't mean it's not a neo geo pocket style sprite. Several other people over the years have done the same.
Quote:Just because it's not the "exact style" doesn't mean it's not a neo geo pocket style sprite
make yourself clear, then. when somebody says ngp style, i'm expecting something done like it. if not, it's "inspired" by the style, which means it takes elements from an existing style.
if you could provide examples of this style to us, it would help.
also, it looks pretty bland to me anyway

the way you shade things is totally subpar; there is no thought to it and the colors are simply darkened versions of the base ones. Also, why you shade the clothes but not the skin baffles me

also stop using black lines everywhere. It would be okay if you were working with a 3 color limit like the ngpc sprites but since you aren't, you could very well change those.
(06-01-2011, 04:04 AM)Bass X Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-31-2011, 11:42 PM)Fuchikoma Wrote: [ -> ]you claim these sprites are done in the ngpc's "style"

You guys here sure have a way of greeting new people.

I've seen worse, but still should clarify what you are talking about.

Anyway's smokes right foot looks awkward and his hands don't look very much like hands and you need more shading. If this isn't truly ngpc's style than it wouldn't hurt to add one more shade for all color's.

What I'm seeing is your making the same mistakes again, and this can become a pattern, which is not good at all. Break the pattern by choosing one character to fix, fix him, and then proceed to apply all of our cc to the next character, and the next, and the next, ect.

(05-31-2011, 07:58 PM)Bass X Wrote: [ -> ]Yo.

It's been some time since I posted sprite work publicly, so I'll give it a go here.

I sprite in the Neo Geo Pocket style. This style was used by SNK for their Neo Geo Pocket handheld. I mainly scratch my work.

For my first batch:
[Image: scorpneogeo.png]
Scorpion from Mortal Kombat.

ok so i have a question, i've been doing this sprite thing for some time now, haven't ripped any just got some and edited the crap out of them. i started out with the megaman sprites and soon enough moved up to the dragon ball z series. you know which one... everyone else does. lol so anyways the style you got is more or less the way the dbz series looks. long story short, how the hell do you design the basics for your characters? the walking and the running and all the other crap. i've been trying to make my own. just so i don't piss off anyone. i'm good at editing, but i want to be great at creating. any suggestions?
just do them. if you're so good at eduiting, you might probably had learned how does the basic structure of a human being's anatomy works, therefore, it only depends on your own skill to improve.

if you're unsure on how to start drawing a sprite, then mostof the time is probably because you do need a clear idea of what do yuo want and how you want it. with that in mind, you shouldn't have problems to move on.