The VG Resource

Full Version: DSMK2 - Novice comes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lo there, first post here! I'm a novice spriter whose only experience is with mechanical stuff and still images. I'm here since I don't know anyplace better to ask questions in regards to my spriting

I start off with this: I want to work on a game with all the elements I've been looking for but could never find, mainly as the main element, niche stuff.

So yes, I need help, critique and comments on the sprites that are there, and hopefully sprites to come.

[Image: secBot1.png]
This, is what I'm currently working on, a multipurpose cyborg body (comes with a one-handed anti-cyborg plasma cannon!) often found in use with private security companies. Please forgive me for the rough legs and or other parts of the sprite, they're pretty much going to be that way (rough) until I get the walk cycle as close to how I want it.

[Image: secBot12.gif]
This, is my first attempt at a walk cycle, for some reason it just, doesn't feel right for the cyborg, and I don't think I'm going about this the right way. Should I blame most of the problems on the body's lack of animation?
It's very hard to read. If you're going to make such a small sprite, make sure that you only show the character's most defining features.

About the animation: The legs seem to hop backwards - another frame, so the animation flows smoother, would be nice.
(05-29-2011, 06:32 AM)Alex IDV Wrote: [ -> ]It's very hard to read. If you're going to make such a small sprite, make sure that you only show the character's most defining features.

Er, mind if you point this out for me?
Ey, you're from DRLFF right?
What he means is that you are trying to fit in every single detail into such a small area, when only the objects prominent details should appear.
(05-29-2011, 05:35 PM)Thunder Toes Wrote: [ -> ]Ey, you're from DRLFF right?
What he means is that you are trying to fit in every single detail into such a small area, when only the objects prominent details should appear.

Yep! As with you. Here to learn and improve. Which parts of my sprite needs to be abstracted more? Or is all of it guilty of this?

[Image: secBot14.gif]
Bumped up the frame count for the walk, gave the body a slight lean, better?

My Mind: Huh, it's some new guy I've never heard of. Probably gonna be a recolor or something.
After seeing the sprite: Oh my god. This guy is actually pretty good.

That animation is extremely smooth.
(05-29-2011, 06:21 PM)Key Wrote: [ -> ]That animation is extremely smooth.

That's a bit too much.

You need to work on making good legs, instead of just trying to rotate them. They look to rough.
(05-29-2011, 07:54 PM)Proton Wrote: [ -> ]You need to work on making good legs, instead of just trying to rotate them. They look to rough.

Yea, I'm going to touch them up, rotated them to get the general position needed. Is the walk cycle fine?
I think the cycle looks very good! But it leans forward a bit, just move the body a pixel or two back Smile
[Image: secBot16.gif]
There we go, refined the leg sprites and walk cycle just a bit. The body bob is probably off, or not needed.

On that note, what is the best pose for a single frame falling/mid-jump?
Yeah, the bob is off. He should be at his highest when his feet are directly beneath him. The leg nearer to the camera also looks like its lagging a bit when coming forward - could have something to do with the fact that you're using a frame where both legs cover each other perfectly.

Still though, this is pretty good for someone who is a self-proclaimed novice!

As for a best pose for a falling/mid-jump frame, it really depends entirely on the character. For this one, I'd guess something simple and straightforward would probably work best, so go take a look at the Samus's falling animation from Super Metroid or Metroid Zero Mission.
huge advice:

skeletal animations and rotating sprites in general work best on larger sprites, mainly for the obvious reason that a smaller sprite's details get all screwed when rotated. and given the really low contrast these have, you might as well either work on a better desing that allows more readbility or at least try a more efficient/saturated color scheme,
(06-04-2011, 05:32 PM)Fuchikoma Wrote: [ -> ]huge advice:

skeletal animations and rotating sprites in general work best on larger sprites, mainly for the obvious reason that a smaller sprite's details get all screwed when rotated. and given the really low contrast these have, you might as well either work on a better desing that allows more readbility or at least try a more efficient/saturated color scheme,

That's where I'm going to fall flat. Since I've worked with the sprite, I have a hard time seeing the readability issues. It's at this point that I ask to see a "fixed" version of my sprite so that I can see what I'm supposed to be doing, though I never really get that... Please?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta-QHeRnl...age#t=228s

rather than that, i'd recomend you two games on the SNES that could give you some ideas. one being front mission gun hazard and the other one cybernator(dontlet the video scare you, there is a translation patch for the rom)

a "fixed" version of your sprite doesnt exist since its development depends entirely on you. what we have said so far arent proper ways to do it, juts mere pointers you should consider or not depending on your own personal judgement.
Funny, I played and beat both games, also ripped sprites from it, and it's actually my inspiration for the game I'm aiming to put together. Any tips for hand done anti-aliasing? I'll probably see what happens once the game gets put together.
Pages: 1 2