The VG Resource

Full Version: Fighting games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So, I suck a lot at fighting games in general, but I am decided to man up and try playing some.

Basically, suggest me a fighting game (prefferably from PSX to below so I can emulate it) and say why I should I try that. Video footages are welcome.

WILL FAVOUR 16-BIT CONSOLES

gogogogo

Look at all those characters.

Pretty cool Gundam fighter.

Here's one I never played but I've seen in a store before. Looks slow as crap.

This actually came before that Gundam Wing game and uses the same engine.

I wasn't crazy about this game, it encourages you to be spammy.

I feel like this is a more violent predecessor to Soul Calibur.

This is the only KOF game I've played so far, it's pretty fun, don't know if anyone has a better suggestion though.
Play a Touhou fighting game.

I'd say Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (TH 10.5) or Hisoutensoku (TH 12.3), since they're both much better developed than Immaterial and Missing Power (TH 7.5), though some say IaMP

Anyway, I say a touhou fighting game because you don't have to emulate it, and it apparently has a lot more projectile attacks than most fighters. It's also fairly easy to learn the attacks, since they're relatively few and the combos are a bit simpler (possibly because they're designed for a keyboard?), so it could give you some practice on those button combos.

... though, I really haven't played any other fighters, so I can't really say much else.
tekken 3

Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Revival (for GBA) is the only Street Fighter I've ever played and I've actually grown to like it since I started ripping from it. It's a pretty easy game to get used to. Well worth a try.
Oh yeah, I also would like what makes it different from the others to make it worth a try

and no Street Fighter stuff, that's overrated and it's the only fighting game I played
I'd recommend Blazblue, but that's for PS360.

For emulation, Darkstalkers 3. Sweet music, great characters, fun. Combat is a bit more complicated than Street Fighter. Marvel vs Capcom 2 is also very fun but pretty imbalanced and crazy.

if you just want mindless noncompetitive fun, try Soul Calibur, DBZ: Budokai 3, or Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee.
Alright, gone or not, I can't leave anybody hanging when it comes to fighting games. Let's do it.

[Image: kofxi_ps2_ntsc.jpg]
The King of Fighters XI [PS2/Arcade]

Probably the most well-rounded, complete KOF game you'll find, this edition of The King of Fighters contains a roster of upwards of 40+ characters, classic 3vs3 KOF gameplay, a really great 1v1 mode, and an excellent 3v3 Tag mode, where you can switch out between characters in real-time and pick a "leader" character that gets a leader-exclusive super move (everybody gets it in normal 1v1/3v3, but the strategy of Tag is where the limit really shines). KOFXI isn't short on newcomers, and all the classic characters play just like you'd expect them to (with some nice new moves to boot!). It also features a fun little color edit mode, so you can actually "customize" your characters with palette changes. You can change their special effects, too. Check out some gameplay videos to see the game in action.
KOFXI is fast, solid, it's easy to pick up, requires dedication to learn, and is ultimately satisfying.

[Image: Waku_waku_7_flyer.png]
Waku Waku 7 [Neo Geo/Arcade]

One of those fighters you've probably never heard of, Waku Waku 7 is a strange, obscure fighter created by SUNSOFT and published by SNK for the Neo Geo. There are 7 playable characters and 2 bonus characters in the game. Despite the small roster, this game is deep and each character plays different enough to the point where it always feels fresh. Every character has the basic priority, special, super moves, etc. There are DokiDoki moves, which are your basic super move, powerful stuff, and then each character has at least one HaraHara move, which is another form of super move, different in the way that it is easy to execute, are unblockable, hard to avoid, but the character using it has to charge it up, leaving them completely open to attack. The combo system is simple, but effective, and each character has a unique flavor to them, giving the game a charm that most other games can't match.

[Image: cvs2-poster1.jpg]
Capcom vs. SNK 2 [PS2/Gamecube (don't bother)/XBOX/Dreamcast/Arcade]

A legendary entry to fighting games, Capcom vs SNK 2 was the dream match that fans never expected-- a giant crossover game featuring stars from Capcom and SNK fighters duking it out. Combining elements from both classic Capcom fighters like Street Fighter, and adding flavor from SNK's fighters like The King of Fighters, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and Samurai Shodown, Capcom managed to create one of the coolest fighting games ever. CvS2 differentiates itself from other 2D fighters in that you are able to select between 6 different "grooves" (different super gauges + altered game mechanics)-- C Groove (3-tier super bar, basic Street Fighter Alpha 3 style, and if I remember correctly, features rolling dodge), A Groove (2-tier super bar based off the Street Fighter Alpha 3 V-ISM gauge and system, I think), P Groove (based off Street Fighter III's system, 1-tier super bar and enables the Parrying system), S Groove (chargeable super meter from KOF, enables standing dodge), N Groove (3-tier "extend" system from KOF, features rolling dodge), and K Groove (Rage Gauge-- goes up when you take damage, once hit 100% character becomes stronger and can perform super moves, from Samurai Shodown). The ability to choose your fighting style regardless of the characters you picked added a lot of experimentation/replay value to the overall game system.
CvS2 featured 3 different ways to enjoy the game-- a classic 1v1 mode, a 3v3 mode ala KOF, and a Ratio system, where you could pick between 1-3 characters (you did not have to pick 3), and then align your "ratio" (max of 4, min of 1) between the characters you pick to decide who in your team is the strongest. This ratio system added even more depth to the CvS2 experience, and allowed for even further customization of teams.

[Image: ds3-fly8.jpg]
Vampire Savior: Darkstalkers 3 [PSX/Arcade (you want this version)]

Darkstalkers 3 is the definitive Darkstalkers experience, expanding on the already solid character roster and gameplay mechanics that Darkstalkers 1 and 2 started. Darkstalkers 3 featured a new Damage Gauge System where battles took place over one round, and each character had 2 life markers. As the fight goes on, character's life diminishes, and slowly recovers (if the player is defensive and avoids getting hit), adding more strategy to the game. A new Dark Force System was also introduced that allowed the player to use a gauge to activate a character's unique special abilities for a limited time. Darkstalkers is another game that's easy to get into, but takes practice to master.

[Image: tekken6.jpg]
Tekken 6 [PS3/360/Arcade: As Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion]

Many people, whether they be "new" fighting game fans, or fighting game vets, are absolutely terrified of Tekken 6. Tekken 6 features over 40 playable characters, each boasting at least 120+ moves each. Tekken 6 features a majorly deep combo, juggle, and wall game, and every character packs a huge punch. In a game like Tekken 6, seeing combos that drain half of the life out of an opponent isn't exactly uncommon. Tekken is a hardcore fighting game at its finest-- it's easy to pick up and start doing cool things, but a casual player/buttonmasher/attack spammer can be easily destroyed by a seasoned player. Tekken looks and plays at its finest when two seasoned players go at it, and matches can get really intense, really fast. If you're not a fan of 3D fighters, Tekken 6 may turn you off, and if you're not into hardcore fighting games, then Tekken 6 will definitely look unappealing to you. But if you're willing to put in the weeks (even months) it can take to master a character, you'll find yourself getting majorly hooked into, and even addicted, to Tekken 6, over any other fighting game released.

[Image: lastblade2f.jpg]
The Last Blade 2 [Neo Geo/Dreamcast/PS2/Arcade

The Last Blade series is a sleeper hit from SNK-- many haven't heard of it, but the ones that have are probably dedicated fans of the series. The Last Blade 2 is a weapon-based 2D fighting game featuring 17 playable characters, each with a completely different fighting style. Every character has 2 versions: A "Power" version (attacks are strong, and characters get powerful super moves), and a "Speed" version (heavily reliant on creating huge combo chains with normal moves and special moves, and features a custom combo system)-- allowing fans of both "deeper" fighting games, as well as more "classic" fighting games, to be appeased equally, and even duke it out against each other. While many compare Last Blade and Samurai Shodown, the two games are completely different entities.

[Image: motw-box.jpg]
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (also known as Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves) [Dreamcast/PS2/Neo Geo/Arcade]

A post about fighting game recommendations can't go without giving a mention to Garou, arguably one of the best fighting games that SNK has ever made. Garou was the answer to Street Fighter III, and while it packs a "small" roster, the roster is well-rounded, and each character animates beautifully (one of the best parts about this game), much like the Street Fighter III series. Garou features a "T.O.P. System" where you choose a portion of life for your T.O.P. Once your health drops to the specified level, your character will enter T.O.P. Mode, where they'll gain a new special move, their attack power is increased, and their defensive power is increased. Garou also features a "Just Defense" system, similar to Street Fighter 3's Parrying system. By pressing back timed with your enemy's attack, you'll perform a Just Defend, negating chip damage and adding a slight increase to your character's vitality. Garou has a flavor all its own, and you'd be crazy to miss out on having a taste.

[Image: rs-eubox.png]
Rival Schools: United By Fate [PSX/Arcade]

Rival Schools is easily my favorite fighting game series that Capcom has EVER done. Rival Schools sports a fresh roster of characters, each one based off of a school stereotype, in fast-paced 2vs2 gameplay. Rival Schools features a simple, easy-to-learn combo system and a sweet air combo system, not unlike the VS. series of Capcom fighters. RS has every character with at least 2 Burning Vigor moves (super moves), and depending on the second character you pick, you can perform a Team-Up Technique, which, if it succeeds, brings the second character out to either perform a combo, recover your health, or boost your Guts Gauge-- a feature that many other fighting games, to this day, do not share with Rival Schools. Project Justice (the sequel to Rival Schools, for the Dreamcast), expanded on this system with a "Party-Up Technique," which takes advantage of 3 characters to perform a super powerful move!
Rival Schools is a fun little game that clearly doesn't take itself seriously (especially when you see some of the Team-Up Techniques in the game), and is an incredibly exciting and fun game that everybody should play.
and if those don't work you can get the weiner out of your butt and play street fighter 3: third strike
(05-26-2011, 10:21 PM)Sploder Wrote: [ -> ]Play a Touhou fighting game.

I'd say Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (TH 10.5) or Hisoutensoku (TH 12.3), since they're both much better developed than Immaterial and Missing Power (TH 7.5), though some say IaMP

Anyway, I say a touhou fighting game because you don't have to emulate it, and it apparently has a lot more projectile attacks than most fighters. It's also fairly easy to learn the attacks, since they're relatively few and the combos are a bit simpler (possibly because they're designed for a keyboard?), so it could give you some practice on those button combos.

... though, I really haven't played any other fighters, so I can't really say much else.

do the opposite of this
Touhou fighters are terrible, they aren't even fighting games it's just shooting and playing tag with your opponent till one of you fucks up and gets hit by a bullet
repeat xinfinite

Play melty blood or something
hold up, let me show up tyvon real quick.

Art of Fighting II/III (Neo Geo / Neo Geo CD / SNES / Playstation 2)
[Image: 26230rc.png]
[Image: 2qlr6sx.png]
street fighter II came out in the early 90's and revolutionized the arcade scene, every other developer in the world was looking for ways to attract the public away. SNK took SFII and gave it visuals that put capcoms beast to shame, and several innovative advanced techniques. (most of which became standardized in the genre)
Art of Fighting is SNK's answer to SFII, and despite playing similar it's personally my favorite of the two!
(art of fighting III is also an amazing looking game, play it if you can)

Big Bang Beat: 1st Impression (Windows)
[Image: 15xles3.jpg]
Big Bang Beat is a Doujin Fighter that doesn't really bring anything 'new' to the genre of fighting games. What it does is combine some of the best elements of a few different titles and rolls them together, creating a fast, fluid blend of Guilty Gear like mechanics, centered around stringing together huge, flashy combos through cancelling.

While I don't have the download, a few minutes of searching on google should find the full version. (it's also popular on torrent websites)

Asura Busters (Arcade)
[Image: 11k8is6.png]
Asura Busters is the kind of 'one hit' title that companies in the 90's used to make frequently. It came and went without a lot of notice, and the company vanished shortly after. what people got is a surprisingly darkstalkers-like fighting game that mixes samurai showdown familiar weapons mechanics into it.
Asura Busters is a smart, easy game to get into.

Kabuki Klash (Neo Geo)
[Image: qso8c4.png]
Samurai Showdown with characters from Chinese Folklore
it might as well be another entry into the samurai shodown series, and it's just as well composed.

Kizuna Encounter (Neo Geo)
[Image: 2zg6gcn.png]
Another SNK 'tag fighter' Kizuna Encounter sets it part
with a more 'versatile' set of characters, letting you dodge in and out of combos. it's mechanics are centered mostly around offense and pressure cornering, since you can only tag in other characters in the center of the arena.

Matrimilee (Neo Geo)
[Image: 2j1515x.jpg]
been playing this literally all night. get it.

Ossu!! Karatebu (Super Famicom)
[Image: 9leqfk.png][Image: 2j2ccps.png]
much like asura, ossu!! karatebu kind of came and went, even in most hardcore fighting circles it's almost unknown.
based on a manga about karate school, ossu!! blends SF mechanics and a little bit more of a 'close' centered combat system. it's got a pretty big roster (12 guys, i think) and is just...a good fighting game!!

Virtua Fighter 4 PS2
SNK Vs. Capcom: Match of the millenium NGPC
(05-26-2011, 10:42 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]no Street Fighter stuff
fag
CVS2

The music is godlike.

The announcer is godlike.

The sound effects is godlike

The roster is godlike.

The Engrish is godlike.

The Intros are godlike.

The gameplay is godlike.

God was involved in the development of this game, I swear.
Pages: 1 2 3 4