The VG Resource

Full Version: Pokémon Platform [Charmander Anim.]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hey there TSR! this is the Project that I'm working on and that I'm gonna try to finish (...)

So, here are the Sprites that I've made:

001 - Bulbasaur:
[Image: Bulbasaurstandleft-60.png]
004 - Charmander:
[Image: Charmanderstandleft-50.png]
Walking Anim:
Coming Soon...
007 - Squirtle:
[Image: Squirtlestandleft-43.png]
010 - Caterpie:
[Image: Caterpiestandleft-22.png]
013 - Weedle:
[Image: Weedlestandleft-18.png]

In Groups:

Starters:
[Image: Bulbarmansquirt-7.png]

Pre-Evolutions:
[Image: Pokedex-8.png]

Wait for more ;D
Outlines are very jagged.
Shading could be more detailed.
And your animations look very choppy.

Far as I am concerned the least you could do is work on the sprite itself before making a gif on it.
(05-22-2011, 07:14 PM)Wakko Warner Wrote: [ -> ]Outlines are very jagged.
Shading could be more detailed.
And your animations look very choppy.

Far as I am concerned the least you could do is work on the sprite itself before making a gif on it.
Seems OK to me, the animations are kinda choppy and some shading would be awesome but other than that I think it looks pretty good.

I never said it was bad, but I didn't say it was good.

All I am saying is that he should work on the sprite before attempting to animate it. It's alright however there is so much work that could be done on it.
(05-22-2011, 07:14 PM)Wakko Warner Wrote: [ -> ]Far as I am concerned the least you could do is work on the sprite itself before making a gif on it.
Hahah no problem, I save every image, so I can make any change ^^ I can change all the things you said before (but takes me some time O_o), however, thanks, that's what I need to hear =)
I didn't understand the Outlines thing, I find it ok, I tried to make it the less black possible, it's better that way than Black Outlines, isn't it?
(05-22-2011, 08:13 PM)pokéDEX Wrote: [ -> ]Seems OK to me, the animations are kinda choppy and some shading would be awesome but other than that I think it looks pretty good.
Gotta change it all, gotta change it all, Change it more! xD thanks, gotta fix choppy animations, and shade more ;D

I'm gonna try to change that you told me, so, see yah!
So in your game this is for the lighting is ALWAYS going to be coming from the top left?
I guess... but I can change that... you think it seems bad that way?
Just seems like a lot of work is all, and I'm curious whether or not it's a stylistic choice, and what your thoughts are behind that choice.
Try to fix the animations themselves too. Not only the choppy-ness but also what it actually looks like. The second seems to me that he's doing some kind of dance or another. The third is your most convincing animation, but it still looks awkward as a bulbasaur running wouldn't run near that fast, just take a look at ssbb, sure it's an ivysaur but the speed between the two isn't that much different. And they both need to look more natural. The walking should have bulbasaurs bulb moving side to side with every step. Not too much, but where you can notice. His feet also need to come all the way down and complete the cycle, so it looks much more fluid. The third would be somewhat okay if it was a different pokemon, but it's bulbasaur, and not pikachu, so it needs to change. Once again use ivysaur in ssbb as an example of running. The bulb should be moving faster now but not by much. Add more flair to the first one, as right now it looks bad. How you change it, and what you change it too is up to you, try to make it original (aka don't go into our pokemon black/white section and see the animations for bulbasaur there and copy) and seem fitting for such a pokemon.
The palette really could use a lot of work. The colours could use some more contrast (by this, I mean actual different in brightness rather than a contrast filter) and would likely look better if they were a bit more saturated. You should also use more than two shades for sprites in this kind of style. I don't mean this as in like, twelve different shades, but three or four could extremely benefit this.
Add some more keyframes in your animations. Your idle Bulbasaur looks like it's humping the ground. Choppy animations are fine for more 8-bit styled games.
Okay, thanks for the C&C, I did change the Palette and the Shadows, take a look at it:
[Image: Bulbasaurstandleft-15.png]
I'm gonna change the Animations later, I have to work on the sprite itself like Wakko said =)

So, how is it now? hope you like it, if not just comment and say what you don't like ;D

See yah!
Many people tend to believe that the Pokemon sprite style is solely based on dithering, which is quite a shame. The most modern of Pokemon sprites have solid shading and small hints of dithering, if any at all. I'd suggest studying a real bulbasaur sprite for inpiration. It will help you tremendessly
(05-29-2011, 01:20 AM)Zapchu25 Wrote: [ -> ]Many people tend to believe that the Pokemon sprite style is solely based on dithering, which is quite a shame. The most modern of Pokemon sprites have solid shading and small hints of dithering, if any at all. I'd suggest studying a real bulbasaur sprite for inpiration. It will help you tremendessly

Crap I don't think really ANY have used dithering since the GBC days. Except for the rock ones like Roggenrola and Onyx.

What I don't understand is how the sprite went from a cheery, bright bulbasaur to a waaay darker bulbasaur. i mean it looks like it just saw some bulbasuar die, minus the smile. Brighten it up a bit. Using the original color's from the latest games won't hurt a bit tbh. And either way your only using like 2 or 3 shades, make it like 4 or 5, using original colors.
there was dithering on the gba versions actually.
if animating a sprite, i don't recommend dithering: it's far too laborious.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6