The VG Resource

Full Version: Trying out an Animation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I'm trying my hand at making my first animation for this sprite:

[Image: i40fb5.png]
(Inspired by the style of tachi and fuchikoma's avatars, but not exactly)

Well, here it is:

[Image: 27zhfmr.png]

[Image: qn89is.gif]

I'm not really sure what to do, because the legs are the same color I'm having trouble showing that the legs are alternating stepping, instead of one just moving over and over. Disregard some of the smaller details for now, like the eyes bobbing as he moves, as I'd like to just focus on how he's moving.

The animation itself is supposed to be him kind of creepily tiptoeing along, but that probably doesn't look like it because I'm a terrible animator (and, you know, the whole leg thing) and it's faster than it should be.

Any help is appreciated.
this is a pretty thrilling spri-yeah im not gonna do this.
anyway, he really doesn't look like he's taking steps. his legs dont alternate, his body is at a 3/4 angle, and his leg moves forwards then backwards instead of forwards in a cycle.
this is a good ref for the kind of walk you are going for
Heh, I actually realized it looked like the thriller dance after making it. Such a pleasant accident.

Anyways, thank you for the reference. I'll go redo it now with respect to that, and also make it a side view instead of 3/4ths.
looks like he's kicking

the thing about legs with the same colors is, you can cheat with them, animate them stepping once and then loop.
(05-08-2011, 11:25 AM)Old Man Cerebus Wrote: [ -> ]looks like he's kicking

the thing about legs with the same colors is, you can cheat with them, animate them stepping once and then loop.

Very true, I'll probably go with a six four frame loopable side-view animation this time around.

Edit: All right, I've made another version:

[Image: jl13j8.gif]

[Image: 2f06jki.png]

It's displaying really quickly on my computer, but it always does that, so I'm not sure what it'll look like to you guys. Though, I think it's a lot better than before. Any crits? Edits are welcome as well.
[Image: 12framerun.gif]
you might want to give this a try
Yeah, before I started I actually searched through quite a few pages of threads for when kakimi posted that awhiiiiile back. I was trying to do something a little different than just a normal walk cycle, but I haven't ever done a normal walk before, so I suppose that was a little ambitious. I'll go back and try again at the running.
The 4th frame doesn't seem to flow with the rest of them. Looking at how the foot moves, it doesn't really make sense. I also think he's bobbing a lot, his body should bob upwards once during a step, instead of twice which is what it looks like right now.

Looking at your first attempt, one thing I need to point out is to keep the leg lengths fixed, one of the problems with the original is that the thigh seems to change length during the animation.

[Image: 2dxA0.png]
Tried editing the frames, although his legs look like jelly when animated.

EDIT: oh ok two new posts Very Sad
considering the legs will be black, therefore not giving the viewer any chance to determine wich leg will be the one moving back and forth each time, i might suggest using other bodyparts to fither represent the difference between each step.

simple words: he moves as if he only used one leg to walk.
So you'd suggest making more frames for the run with arms or something like that alternating movement to show that it's changing? (Instead of just looping it)
body language, bro.