The VG Resource

Full Version: Serious discussion of Current Consoles (PS3, X360, Wii)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No fanboy retarded flaming please

I want to make a topic where we can seriously discuss the pros and cons of each next-gen consoles, and how they differ.

In all honesty I just want to have a serious discussion :E

I'll start off. I like the 360 because of its excellent category of games, the fact that it can appeal to the older and the younger and even in between gamer, and the extremely fun online play. The PS3 has its ups with its "six-axis", though Wii does kinda win with motion sensing, but it's evolutionary graphics are amazing, and blu-ray is highly useful and is brilliant in HD. The Wii's motion gameplay is fun, and I like it, but it's category of games only appeal to the younger player, and the games that can appeal to the older gamer, are usually lost to the same game on a different console due to the fact of how unpowerful(i know it's not a word etc) the wii is.

The 360 in all honesty could be better, but it is great. They never copied Mii's, as they had these personalisable little avatars back from when they came out for MSN, and the exclusives on the 360 are all great games. The PS3 is a great console, but it's price and its catalogue of games aren't that great. The Wii couldve been a great console, but Nintendo went for size and looks rather than power in the console.

Opinions, no flaming please.Smile
I feel as though the PS3 and the Wii intimidate a whole lot of developers, with the flashy graphics of the PS3 and the sometimes awkward controls of the Wii makes it so a good deal of games are "better" on the 360. I myself, do not own a 360, however, I have respect for it as a console that is easy to make games for, easy to sell games for, and a very user friendly method to everything.

Sony I think overstepped what should have been done. As far as most gamers who arn't oblivious Sony Fanboys see it, plus with harse statistics, reviews and game sells, it's easy to see the PS3 isn't doing very well at all. Exclusives are being lost left and right, the graphics arn't being used to their fullest (making the much cheaper versions sell better). Honestly the only real exclusive at this point is Metal Gear Solid, which could be ported to either system with some clever tricks of prerendered graphics in a heartbeat to either the Wii or the 360.

To say the Wii is only for casuals is going a bit to the fanboy realm. You have to remember that ALL games are easier then they were 10 years ago, either you see it that way, or they actually are. Probably a mix of the both. Save features, infinite lives, no real clocks, better controls, etc all make for easier games. Most people who criticize that Nintendo is all casual really never sees all the games released for all systems. The 360 has just as much shovelwear, it's just that people like to pick on Nintendo because it wants to admit it's in a new direction, and negative news sells better then positive news. Games like Metroid Prime, Brawl, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem, all of those are major games released for the Wii which can be challenging at times and very well reviewed.
cons: PS3 has no games, 360 has a fairly high chance of RROD, Wii has no 3rd party developers and overall the weakest graphics of the three

pros: PS3 has a superior shop system and metal gear solid 4, 360 has a LOT of good games (most of them are FPSs but we'll tackle that later) and Wii has the motion-sensing controls and real-time pointers which make for a lot of gaming possibilities

overall, i think that once the PS3 actually gets games and maybe another price drop, it could outsell the other two.
The Wii's new MotionPlus 1:1 tracking should have been implemented itno the Wiimote from the start, which is what most people though they were getting before they bought one. True, its graphics are inferior, but the price difference is worth it. True, many kid-friendly or minigame games are released for Wii, but there are the few more-hardcore titles.

The 360 is great, though Microsoft is starting to show their greedy side more now. The monthly subscription cost for Live is annoying and I'd probably never buy one because of that.

PS3 is amazing in all respects, but the price is way too high. 'Gamers' like us may not mind it as much, but the average person isn't going to shell out that much. It's library of games is interesting, but the $60 price tag is a bit much.

Kind of off-topic:
In all, games don't cost $50+ to produce. In fact, most stores purchase the games at around $20. It would seem that the game companies aren't making as much of a profit as game stores are. Honestly, I think the price tag for the games themselves is what makes so many people not want to buy them. I have a huge number of Dreamcast games, because they were only $30, and that is one of the primary reasons DC is praised.
xbox 360 has mass effect and will have fable 2
playstation 3 has metal gear solid 4
hey guess what the wii has
nothing

enjoy your mario games and your pokemon, peace
Quote:The 360 is great, though Microsoft is starting to show their greedy side more now. The monthly subscription cost for Live is annoying and I'd probably never buy one because of that.
50 bucks for a year comes with headset what are you poor living on the street.

360s mechanics make for a lot faster response time on the games because of how the servers are set up, and that costs money.
(08-08-2008, 10:16 PM)Rubbers Wrote: [ -> ]xbox 360 has mass effect and will have fable 2
nothing

but in that mentality, Pokemon is no different from Halo in that it;s a second party game that the first party developer makes 8402387492374982374 games for racking in the cash.

Game companies don't care if you're loyal to them, they don't care if you back them up on the far reaches of the internet in an losing argument. They don't care. All they care about is your money...
(08-08-2008, 10:16 PM)Rubbers Wrote: [ -> ]xbox 360 has mass effect and will have fable 2
nothing

That comment can easily be switched round against any of the 3 consoles. Example:
Wii has mario, zelda, and pikmin comming
360 has gears and that non-halo halo title
hey guess what the ps3 is getting
nothing

enjoy your lack of exclusives.
I feel the 360 just has no GREAT exclusive games that don't have you shooting everything. Gears is brilliant and so is Halo 3 but other genres are fun as well you know. The 360 has a lot of games but I find myself playing the PS3 more simply because I'm not afraid of it breaking every time I turn it on. I traded in my GTA IV on the 360 for the PS3 version as my 360 was heading towards death once more. My 360 has been sent off around 6 or 7 times now - it's ridiculous. I mean who here hasn't had the red ring of death? Software wise the 360 is brilliant but the hardware sucks. I also disagree when you say the 360 is aimed at all ages, I'd say it was infinitively for the older gamers with most of the better games being targeted at that age range.

I just don't like the Wii. I know it's not terrible but I don't like the "dash board" most of the games don't interest me (No More Heroes and Metroid 3 being some of the only games I've played to the end) and I still don't see what was wrong with a normal controller. Nothing on the Wii so far couldn't have just been done on a normal controller in my opinion. Oh but yeah, Mario Kart and Brawl are worth buying the console.

The PS3 has incredible hardware and mine has never ever broke, crashed or needed to be sent back once. It's a shame that it suffers from a lack of games (though still has some great ones) and often suffers from broken ports (aka ones made by EA). I hope Ninja Gaiden 2 comes to the PS3 and I hope a new Monster Hunter comes to the PS3 as they were part of the reason I put the money down for one. With the PS3 I guess you either have to believe in the promises Sony made or see it as a great console lacking in games.
I'd say that PS3 isn't going to win game wise. Sure the PS3 has good hardware and graphics, but the thing is there isn't any games on there, which is causing great massive damage to the PS3.

Wii has some good exclusives and games that takes on good motion sensitivity, but the thing is that you can't get any other sort of media other then games and the lack of memory on the system itself is damn crap, sure you can back up data and channels to an SD card, but you can't back up certain games on there like Brawl, which only makes it worse if your trying to add more channels.

360 is good, it has a lot of excelent games, not only that but has good media, but most of it's hardware isn't that great, and microsoft is just copying other companies ideas (Like the camera for Live, which was copied off Sony and there new avatar system was copied off of Mii from Nintendo). Next thing is the many flaws of the 360, such as the Red ring of death making it more uninjoyable, where you have to send it in to microsoft and wait about a week or so to get it fixed. And laslty I want to mention that why should we have to pay extra money for online play? that just doesn't seem nessescary to me.
(08-09-2008, 08:16 AM)Raytheon Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:The 360 is great, though Microsoft is starting to show their greedy side more now. The monthly subscription cost for Live is annoying and I'd probably never buy one because of that.

It only costs that much if you devote yourself to an entire year at a time. Besides, I value my money, because I work for it. It's a balance, and the price isn't worth what minimal extra fun it could provide (especially since I don't care for most of 360's game library).
(08-09-2008, 11:15 AM)Goemar Wrote: [ -> ]I feel the 360 just has no GREAT exclusive games that don't have you shooting everything.

someone's forgetting Fable 2 <:

in addition: lol at you trading in GTA4 on the 360 for GTA4 for the PS3. have fun trying to find enough people to play online with (they'll all be playing MGS4 or MGO)/have fun trying to fly a helicopter with the shitty SIXAXIS controls/have fun trying to drive with those two marshmallows controlling your accleration

anyways for my actual opinion:
The only good games on the Wii are either ports of really good PS2/Gamecube games, see Okami and Resident Evil 4 respectively, or they're just Nintendo whoring out Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, slinging out random shit without sitting down and actually trying to come up with new ideas. Then again however, I don't expect Nintendo to be releasing too much of Zelda or Metroid since Nintendo's announcement to stop appealing to the "core" gamer, meaning instead of trying to tack on another gimmick to Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, they'll be trying to tack on another gimmick to Mario, Wii Sports, and some other party game. Also that stupid thing they're releasing that'll actually make the Wii Remote work properly is about two years late hur.

The Playstation 3 suffers from atrocious controller design and they constantly insist on putting some of the most vital controls on the L2 and R2 marshmallows (see: driving in GTA4). There is also of course the obvious lack of exclusive titles or even games (which makes me wonder why it's so large, it's not like they're using all of that hardware to run games perfectly), but Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Online more than make up for that, and if you think so otherwise, you are wrong. To be honest the promise of MAG, and MGS4 of course, is the only thing keeping me from selling my PS3. Not that anybody would buy it.

The Xbox 360 obviously has shit hardware but great games. In addition:
[Image: cliff_b.jpg]
This man is everything that is wrong with video games.

The whole console race shit is completely stupid anyways because the best game ever was released in America in 2004.
[Image: 250px-Fsabox.jpg]
(08-09-2008, 11:15 AM)Goemar Wrote: [ -> ]I feel the 360 just has no GREAT exclusive games that don't have you shooting everything. Gears is brilliant and so is Halo 3 but other genres are fun as well you know. The 360 has a lot of games but I find myself playing the PS3 more simply because I'm not afraid of it breaking every time I turn it on. I traded in my GTA IV on the 360 for the PS3 version as my 360 was heading towards death once more. My 360 has been sent off around 6 or 7 times now - it's ridiculous. I mean who here hasn't had the red ring of death? Software wise the 360 is brilliant but the hardware sucks. I also disagree when you say the 360 is aimed at all ages, I'd say it was infinitively for the older gamers with most of the better games being targeted at that age range.
I haven't had the red ring of death. Hey guess what little kids enjoy Viva Pinata no shit really.

And there a few games youve missed - the original Fable can be played on it, its getting Fable 2, Halo Wars is gonna be p. rad, Ninja Gaiden II is kickass. Just because the best games (or most of) on 360 are shooters, doesnt mean there arent any other good games. Really the good other genre games are getting shoved behind by the likes of Halo 3, CoD4, Gears of War etc.
Quote:I just don't like the Wii. I know it's not terrible but I don't like the "dash board" most of the games don't interest me (No More Heroes and Metroid 3 being some of the only games I've played to the end) and I still don't see what was wrong with a normal controller. Nothing on the Wii so far couldn't have just been done on a normal controller in my opinion. Oh but yeah, Mario Kart and Brawl are worth buying the console.
Brawl isn't all its cracked up to be. But I agree with most of what youre saying here.

Quote:The PS3 has incredible hardware and mine has never ever broke, crashed or needed to be sent back once. It's a shame that it suffers from a lack of games (though still has some great ones) and often suffers from broken ports (aka ones made by EA). I hope Ninja Gaiden 2 comes to the PS3 and I hope a new Monster Hunter comes to the PS3 as they were part of the reason I put the money down for one. With the PS3 I guess you either have to believe in the promises Sony made or see it as a great console lacking in games.
You're dreaming sorry.
(08-09-2008, 04:35 PM)Diogalesu Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say that PS3 isn't going to win game wise. Sure the PS3 has good hardware and graphics, but the thing is there isn't any games on there, which is causing great massive damage to the PS3.
This is correct
Quote:Wii has some good exclusives and games that takes on good motion sensitivity, but the thing is that you can't get any other sort of media other then games and the lack of memory on the system itself is damn crap, sure you can back up data and channels to an SD card, but you can't back up certain games on there like Brawl, which only makes it worse if your trying to add more channels.
So wait which console do you prefer
Quote:360 is good, it has a lot of excelent games, not only that but has good media, but most of it's hardware isn't that great, and microsoft is just copying other companies ideas (Like the camera for Live, which was copied off Sony and there new avatar system was copied off of Mii from Nintendo). Next thing is the many flaws of the 360, such as the Red ring of death making it more uninjoyable, where you have to send it in to microsoft and wait about a week or so to get it fixed. And laslty I want to mention that why should we have to pay extra money for online play? that just doesn't seem nessescary to me.
As the stealing thing, guess what. Microsoft owns those little "mii"s for MSN, so therefore they had them before Nintendo, and Webcams is just a ported thing from Windows.
Honestly they just keep getting new features from their original franchise, Windows.

(08-09-2008, 04:38 PM)Yoder Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-09-2008, 08:16 AM)Raytheon Wrote: [ -> ]

It only costs that much if you devote yourself to an entire year at a time. Besides, I value my money, because I work for it. It's a balance, and the price isn't worth what minimal extra fun it could provide (especially since I don't care for most of 360's game library).
I can earn that much in a week honestly its not that much.

But really itt opinions, you are entitled to yours i'm entitled to mine.
For me at least, the issue with paying for xbox live is not the amount I would have to pay, but the fact I would have to pay at all when similar features are completely free on both competing systems and jsut about every PC game. Sure I could pay to play online games, but why should I?

Blu-ray support alone makes a PS3 worth the cost as its about the same price as the average stand alone blu-ray player. The ability to play the 2 or 3 exclusive games the system has is pretty much a free extra at that point.

I bought a Wii at launch expecting that promised 'revolution', and pretty much haven't turned it on since then. Play for a week or so every time a new game that isn't wii sports/fit/whatever comes out. The most fun I've had with the system is playing with the controllers on my PC with GlovePIE. Basically the controller is as awesome as Nintendo promised it would be, but the console is crap and the software is worse.
In all honesty I'd buy a PS3 for blu-ray over its games library, which is kind of sad. I didn't buy a PS2 for DVD.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7