The VG Resource

Full Version: Trying to get my game back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's been three years now since I did spriting on a regular basis, so I'm bound to be a little rusty. Here's my newest work, the first sprite I made since I joined this forum. I'm experimenting with a jumbo-sized, HD style. I know it's not perfect yet, so what else can I do with it?

[Image: kino4.png]
A lot of the line work is jagged, like the arms and legs.
Anatomy is wrong, the arm should be much longer.
Shading is weird. The shading on the mushroom is much darker than the shading on the head/face area, and I don't see much shading anywhere else.
So there's some things you could fix up, but it's not that bad.
Not liking the outline colour, especially because some shades are darker than it itself.
are those soap shoes
outlining the insides of a sprite can affect readability negatively; try removing it so you can have more pixel space.
Thanks for all your comments. I lightened up some of the shading, and I gotta admit, it looks a little better. I also got rid of some of the interior outlining, as Gors pointed out, especially in the shoes (which are NOT Soap! I'm not that kind of guy!) I extended the arm like Rakia suggested, but I'm not quite as sure about this one. Now the arm looks too long to me. What do you say?

[Image: kino4.png]
Since it's a Toad, the arms should be shorter.

However I don't know what style you're going for exactly, so.

I also noticed the arm and legs could use a bit of AA, they're a bit jaggy.

EDIT: Rakia already mentioned the above.
Oh yeah

since he's a Toad, this body doesn't exactly work for him. I mean, his head's volume is bigger than the whole body wtf, it looks it could topple over at any moment
(05-04-2011, 12:53 PM)Kino Eastriver Wrote: [ -> ]especially in the shoes (which are NOT Soap! I'm not that kind of guy!)

I think he means the kind of shoes sonic has been wearing since SA2.

which is something sort of like this:
[Image: T-Bone_6023.jpg]

His head and hat could use improvement, other then that listen to the other criticisms mentioned and you should be ok.
Also... please use a more neutral background color. I have a hard time focusing on the sprite, as the BG color is so saturated.